4.7 recipes

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
95_xj_country
Noob
Noob

4.7 recipes

Post by 95_xj_country »

whats the most performance 4.7 recipe i could do? looking to start building a stroker and have been searching. found all kinds of different recipes. never done any type of internal engine work. going to do a learn as i go kinda thing.
Antifreeze2
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280 ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: 4.7 recipes

Post by Antifreeze2 »

Depends on what you want to use it for. A tow rig, sand rail, and grocery getter that is driven hard between stop lights all require a different build. Most recipes are pretty similar, but the cam will play an important factor. Also, how much are you willing to spend?
95_xj_country
Noob
Noob

Post by 95_xj_country »

well its my dd and i try to go 4 wheeling every other weekend and hardly in the winter. and idk how much lol. i was just gonna get a decent mile 4.0 from a junkyard and slowly build as i get the money. really i would like to get most power for 4 wheeling but i also have to drive it everyday. so the best performance for driving i guess. so to answer the price question i guess however much it takes for most performance
604rail_king
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by 604rail_king »

5k+ shouldn't hold you back any ... :banana:
95_xj_country
Noob
Noob

Post by 95_xj_country »

lol you think that much? and any input on the recipe i should use
Retlaw01XJ
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Retlaw01XJ »

Put a supercharger on it for lots of Bang but it'll cost ya a lot of Bucks too.... :mrgreen:

Decide on what rpm range you want to make peak power in , then choose cam and compression ratio.
...Do you want off-road grunt or a high rpm street screamer?
What tires and gears do you run?
Does it need to run on regular gas, or can you spring for premium all the time?
$2500 seems to be the mid point for a basic build....which can easily be exceeded!
Walt K
Eastern Pa
2001 Cherokee 4.6 stroker 90 day build
Buick GS's and Saab turbos for other days...
GoMopar440
Donator
Donator

Post by GoMopar440 »

Check out this post to get an idea what most people are spending on their strokers.
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=15&t=893

You could either buy or build one. I suppose it really just depends on how much you can plunk down in one shot and how comfortable you are with your mechanical skills. You're in the right place to research all you options though.

BTW: If you decide to go with a prebuilt stroker, read up about who knows their stuff and who to avoid. It'll be pretty obvious once you start reading threads who you can trust. I'll let the guys who've dealt with those companies first hand comment about them. Me? I'm still collecting parts, so my direct 4.x stroker knowledge is comparitively limited. But like you, I'm learing more everyday.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

95_xj_country wrote:whats the most performance 4.7 recipe i could do? looking to start building a stroker and have been searching. found all kinds of different recipes. never done any type of internal engine work. going to do a learn as i go kinda thing.
I think you'll like this one:

4.6L low-buck stroker

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Keith Black IC944-030 pistons
9.6:1 CR
CompCams #68-231-4 206/214 degree camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mill block deck 0.020"
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.050" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines
264hp @ 4900rpm, 324lbft @ 3500rpm

Easy to build, lots of torque, and a good all-rounder for daily driver and offroad use.
You'll find nearly all of the aftermarket parts you'll need for the build from Summit Racing.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
95_xj_country
Noob
Noob

Post by 95_xj_country »

Retlaw01XJ wrote:Put a supercharger on it for lots of Bang but it'll cost ya a lot of Bucks too.... :mrgreen:

Decide on what rpm range you want to make peak power in , then choose cam and compression ratio.
...Do you want off-road grunt or a high rpm street screamer?
What tires and gears do you run?
Does it need to run on regular gas, or can you spring for premium all the time?
$2500 seems to be the mid point for a basic build....which can easily be exceeded!
Dont know what RPMs guess little more than stock. And more towards street. Im running 30s on stock 3.55 gears. I eould like to run on regular gas. What would be the difference between regular and premium? Could do premium though
95_xj_country
Noob
Noob

Post by 95_xj_country »

GoMopar440 wrote:Check out this post to get an idea what most people are spending on their strokers.
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=15&t=893

You could either buy or build one. I suppose it really just depends on how much you can plunk down in one shot and how comfortable you are with your mechanical skills. You're in the right place to research all you options though.

BTW: If you decide to go with a prebuilt stroker, read up about who knows their stuff and who to avoid. It'll be pretty obvious once you start reading threads who you can trust. I'll let the guys who've dealt with those companies first hand comment about them. Me? I'm still collecting parts, so my direct 4.x stroker knowledge is comparitively limited. But like you, I'm learing more everyday.
I would like to build it my self. Think it would be fun. And thanks for the link
95_xj_country
Noob
Noob

Post by 95_xj_country »

And someone please explain to me compresion ratio
Antifreeze2
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280 ci
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Antifreeze2 »

There's an FAQ section that should help you with basic information. Most people spend months or even years researching before they take the plunge. You may be able to collect parts over time, but putting it together requires quite a bit all at once. If you have never built an engine before, you should trust your machinist to do the assembly.
95_xj_country
Noob
Noob

Post by 95_xj_country »

is it easy to f it up even if you have a write up or a book on engine rebuilds? but like i said im going to get an engine sometime in the summer so ill just keep trying to learn and research. theres alot more to building your own then i thought. also would it help if i tore the engine down that i get from a junkyard then put it back together?
95_xj_country
Noob
Noob

Post by 95_xj_country »

for mostly driving on the street i would want peak performance at a higher rpm correct?
95_xj_country
Noob
Noob

Post by 95_xj_country »

Cheromaniac wrote:
95_xj_country wrote:whats the most performance 4.7 recipe i could do? looking to start building a stroker and have been searching. found all kinds of different recipes. never done any type of internal engine work. going to do a learn as i go kinda thing.
I think you'll like this one:

4.6L low-buck stroker

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Keith Black IC944-030 pistons
9.6:1 CR
CompCams #68-231-4 206/214 degree camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mill block deck 0.020"
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.050" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines
264hp @ 4900rpm, 324lbft @ 3500rpm

Easy to build, lots of torque, and a good all-rounder for daily driver and offroad use.
You'll find nearly all of the aftermarket parts you'll need for the build from Summit Racing.
is this what you did?