Another First stroker build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
MuddingZJ
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Another First stroker build

Post by MuddingZJ »

Hey everyone. Im new to working on jeeps and building engines in general. Done a couple easy repairs like alternators, radiators and exhausts but its time for me to step it up. I have a running 97 Jeep Grandcherokee (ZJ), 4.0l, freshly rebuilt tranny. Engine has that ever common jeep knock so i plan on rebuilidng it.I Have a second complete engine out of a 96 ZJ with a bad headgasket. Id like to build that into the stroker engine.
1st question would be: Should I even try on not risk it cause of the damage the bad headgasket could have caused??
I researched many of the stroker outline recipies online and heres the one Im liking as of now.

4.6L low-buck stroker
Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
Keith Black IC944-030 pistons
9.6:1 CR
CompCams #68-231-4 206/214 degree camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mill block deck 0.020"
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.050" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines, Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
264hp @ 4900rpm, 324lbft @ 3500rpm

I was wondering knowing I only have a second engine for parts: How much would a build like this cost? Wheres the cheapest place to get parts? and What octane gas could I run it on some people tell me the 9.6:1 CR would require 93 octane. Thanks I could really use a better parts list then one of those recipies on there and ive seen the full kits for like 1,900 on ebay but id like to stay under it if possible... Thanks alot everyone
- Justin
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Another First stroker build

Post by Cheromaniac »

You should be able to run the engine on 91 octane at sea level and you'll find most of the parts you'll need from Summit Racing. Check out this build thread for links.

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... 98&start=0
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
MuddingZJ

Post by MuddingZJ »

Wow thats a awesome forum link i didnt even see that one before thanks. So itd be cheaper to buy most of the parts from summit? I was trying to add up everything and it seemed like it was like 1000 cheaper then the ebay kits. dam ebay. thanks - justin
Retlaw01XJ
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001

Post by Retlaw01XJ »

I'm doing nearly the same build on my 2001 right now.
If you shop around, you can save a few bucks. KB944's can be found for $361 on eBay, and Falcon Global can supply nearly everything else in their engine kit..... I upgraded to the Clevite bearings, moly rings, and added the ARP rod bolts, which added a bit to the kit price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-engine-kit ... 5187471969
I bought a new Scat crank for $400, and will be reusing the stock cam for now. Total cost should be under $2500 for me. There's a whole thread on 'How much will it cost' here:
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=15&t=893

Using a performance cam will add about $450 to your build due to the rather expensive valve springs and retainers.... about $250 just for those! (there's gotta be a better way!)
Walt K
Eastern Pa
2001 Cherokee 4.6 stroker 90 day build
Buick GS's and Saab turbos for other days...
MuddingZJ

Post by MuddingZJ »

Thats like a grand more then i was looking to spend.. Was it counting machining? I was also thinking of builidng a smaller displacement one. like a 4.5 to save some money get as much as i can used. Use the 96 engine i got an just build it as cheap and reliable as possible ( i know thats like saying jumbo shrimp). Ideally if i could build a junkyard one for like 500 or less id take the 97 engine out of my truck put the 4.5 in , run the 4.5 for a cuple thousand miles until i get the money to build the 97 engine (currently what im driving on)into a 4.7 more expensive build.
604rail_king
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by 604rail_king »

itll be cheaper and less work to build a proper 4.6 or 4.7 stroker right from the start (imo)

to me, itd be a pain to swap motors numerous times in a short period and the you wouldn't be saving anything having to build 2 motors. try to ride out your current motor even if its starting to fail.

realistically a stroker done proper but on the low-buck side should cost $2000-3000 depending on parts used/sourcing, machining/assembly, and on the road. some members have spent considerably more, others slightly less...
Retlaw01XJ
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001

Post by Retlaw01XJ »

MuddingZJ wrote:Thats like a grand more then i was looking to spend.. Was it counting machining?
.... if i could build a junkyard one for like 500 or less
Yes, I'm approx $2500 for parts and machining. You could do it for less if you get good used parts.
Some of the 'optional' items you could possibly get away with not doing:
I sprung for a new $400 Scat crank which was a nice chunk of my budget.
Had the block bored 0.020" and deck cut 0.020".... almost $350 there.
Adding the ARP rod bolts and reconditioning the rods, $160.
Buying a newer 2004 cylinder head (2001's are crack prone) and having it reconditioned...$450.
Some of my 2001 parts cost more, such as the gaskets and timing chain... figure about an extra $100 there.
Add up those items, and there's an extra $1500 or so.
You still need to spend the $$ for pistons and basic rebuild stuff. So you could possibly do a quickie rebuild for $800 or so if you skip the new cam and find good used parts at a good price.
BTW, the difference between a 4.5 and a 4.7 stroker is only boring the cylinders up to 0.060" oversize.
Walt K
Eastern Pa
2001 Cherokee 4.6 stroker 90 day build
Buick GS's and Saab turbos for other days...
MuddingZJ

Post by MuddingZJ »

well i have family that owns a machine shop that i called this afternoon that can do all/90% of the machine work free or close to it. i said 4.5 but i meant the cheapest one on the list of stroker build recipies. im not building this truck to run 1/4 miles in i want a offroading/towing engine. already found a good 4.2l crank from a freind for cheap as well.
Tonights / Saturdays jeeps projects are as follows. i guess it would make more sense to build just one engine the right way. the engine in my 97 will probly just end up living in the shed till i sell it or buy another jeep :deadhorse: but jeeps are addictive :D 1: Im going to price out everything i need on the list, 2: compile the list 3: make list of machine work i need done (as of now) ill let you guys know in a couple days what i come up with. it may take me a while i dont have much for mechanical resources. thanks - Justin