Noob ECM/ECU swap question

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Kapper
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Noob ECM/ECU swap question

Post by Kapper »

I have built a 4.6L stroker that I am installing into my 94 wrangler that came stock with a 2.5L. I am at the stage of wiring and I believe the ECU/ECM that a friend gave me from a Grand Cherokee will not work becuase of the auto theft security system. Because of this, I am now looking for a 94 YJ 4.0 M/T ECU/ECM but cannot find any at a reasonable price in my area. However, I have found some 4.0 94 and 95 Cherokee (not Grand) M/T ECR/ECM's for fair prices. My only problem is I am not sure that these ECU/ECM's will work for my 4.6L in my YJ. I am using the wiring harness from the YJ 2.5L but I have modified it to add the extra injectors and I used 4.0L TPS and IAC etc.

Does anyone know if the 95 and 94 4.0 M/T Cherokee (not Grand) ECU/ECM's will work?

OR

Does anyone know of a fix or work around for the security on the 95 Grand Cherokee ECM/ECU if that ECM/ECU will even work?

Thanks for the help.
carlitos
Stroker Displacement: 242
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Re: Noob ECM/ECU swap question

Post by carlitos »

The 94 & 95 Cherokee ecu should work for your 4.6 just mite have to use a map sensor voltage adjuster to fine tune the engine
racing89
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 306 ci
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: comanche

Post by racing89 »

Will work. Even had a guy use the original 2.5l harness and added 2x injecter wires to go along with his 94 cherokee 4.0l ecm
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

if it does in fact have the security, youll likely only run into issues if you use the power locks. even then, theres a violet wire with a yellow stripe that would be in the drivers kick panel of the grand cherokee that you can pulse with a negative to shut it off. but honestly unless you end up hitting the lock button (which wont likely exist in a wrangler) before you close the last door, that wont be an issue. also, there is no key/transponder based shutdown in those jeeps.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
dirt5track
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by dirt5track »

Not sure if it's the same but on my '92 xj Cherokee the theft system would come on automatically if the battery was unhooked. When I moved my stoker to my yj I tried to use the ECM out of the xj and could not find the correct wire to ground and deactivate it. The xj had already gone to scrap. I had to find a wrangler ECM and now need another one due to a short. Very hard to find. Hope this helps. If you can find the pin location on the ECM of the Cherokee you can make a wire that come off of that pin to ground it out.