new stroker 4.6 idles fine till 2500

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Jor2010dan
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

new stroker 4.6 idles fine till 2500

Post by Jor2010dan »

So I started my stroker yesterday. Ran good at idle, and let it run for 20 mins as per my manual. Then when we went to go seat the rings, it would'nt go above 2500 rpms. as soon as you get there, the engine starts to stumble. I was messing with my distributor afterwards, and now it wont run. I'll re-index the distributor but is there anything else that would'nt let it run past 2500? I tested the injectors before I put them in and they are all in spec.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: new stroker 4.6 idles fine till 2500

Post by dwg86 »

Turning the distributor will not change spark timing. Turning the distributor changes when the fuel injector sprays and effects fuel injector to spark sync.

Here is a description of the distributor taken from a service manual. This is for a fuel injected Jeep 4.0 with a distibutor cap and wires...

DISTRIBUTOR

All engines are equipped with a camshaft driven mechanical distributor containing a shaft driven distributor rotor. All distributors are equipped with an internal camshaft position (fuel sync) sensor (Fig. 2) . This sensor provides fuel injection synchronization and cylinder identification.

The distributors on both engines do not have built in centrifugal or vacuum assisted advance. Base ignition timing and all timing advance is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) . Because ignition timing is controlled by the PCM, base ignition timing is not adjustable on any of these engines.

The distributor is locked in place by a fork with a slot located on the distributor housing base. The distributor holddown clamp bolt passes through this slot when installed. Because the distributor position is locked when installed, its rotational position can not be changed. Do not attempt to modify the distributor housing to get distributor rotation. Distributor position will have no effect on ignition timing. The position of the distributor will determine fuel synchronization only.

All distributors contain an internal oil seal that prevents oil from entering the distributor housing. The seal is not
serviceable.

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
The camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor on all engines (Fig. 2).

The sensor contains a hall effect device called a sync signal generator to generate a fuel sync signal. This sync signal generator detects a rotating pulse ring (shutter) on the distributor shaft. The pulse ring rotates 180 degrees through the sync signal generator. Its signal is used in conjunction with the crankshaft position sensor to differentiate between fuel injection and spark events. It is also used to synchronize the fuel injectors with their respective cylinders.

When the leading edge of the pulse ring (shutter) enters the sync signal generator, the following occurs: The interruption of magnetic field causes the voltage to switch high resulting in a sync signal of approximately 5 volts .

When the trailing edge of the pulse ring (shutter) leaves the sync signal generator, the following occurs: The change of the magnetic field causes the sync signal voltage to switch low to 0 volts .
Jor2010dan
Noob
Noob

Post by Jor2010dan »

k.. How about the not going past 2500 thingy?
Jor2010dan
Noob
Noob

Post by Jor2010dan »

K so I got the distributor back in where it idles fine. Still wont go past 2500. It also backfired out the exhaust once and out of the intake once when I was trying to floor it a couple times.

Any Ideas?
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003

Post by dwg86 »

What year Jeep?
Jor2010dan
Noob
Noob

Post by Jor2010dan »

Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc

Post by Cheromaniac »

Jor2010dan wrote:K so I got the distributor back in where it idles fine. Still wont go past 2500. It also backfired out the exhaust once and out of the intake once when I was trying to floor it a couple times.

Any Ideas?
Plugged up cat.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Low fuel volume/pressure
doc65
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Post by doc65 »

Personally my money's still on the distributor, mine was the exact same, dizzy was 1 tooth back, moved it 1 clockwise and all was good.
Jor2010dan
Noob
Noob

Post by Jor2010dan »

Cheromaniac wrote:
Jor2010dan wrote:K so I got the distributor back in where it idles fine. Still wont go past 2500. It also backfired out the exhaust once and out of the intake once when I was trying to floor it a couple times.

Any Ideas?
Plugged up cat.
Took off the exhaust from the header back. Sounds cool, but no difference
SilverXJ wrote:Low fuel volume/pressure
31psi, 40 with the vacuum off. Tried flooring it at both, No difference
doc65 wrote:Personally my money's still on the distributor, mine was the exact same, dizzy was 1 tooth back, moved it 1 clockwise and all was good.
Go my HB keyed. Put a timing light on it. 12* Distributor is fine. I will post up a video tonight
Jor2010dan
Noob
Noob

Post by Jor2010dan »

Humor me and watch the video. (no, I will never get a job reading books.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blLC2SzFnPw
I checked my injectors, they all clicky.

What am I missing?
Missourian
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Missourian »

Let's see...

Crank /cam relationship, distributor position, distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs, coil, fuel injectors, burnt valve, broken spring, throttle cable/linkage issue, compromised computer? :rockout:

Perhaps your muffler bearings have gone bad? :bs:

Levity, it's an awesome thing when you understand "it was a joke". :twisted:
I have a 4.6L STOKER in my 2000 Jeep Wrangler with 4.5" lift on 35" BFG MT and 4.56:1 gears.

Check out Metro Crawlers Image
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Sucks...

What size injectors?? Stock?

Maybe you wiped out the cam already???
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
BDD
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: tj

Post by BDD »

Is this a brand new motor? Did you break in the cam properly by running the motor above 2000 rpms for twenty min,before letting it idle?If you did not,you have flat cam lobes,and a motor full of metal.I think your post said something about letting it idle for twenty min? I never let a fresh motor idle,untill it has a few hundred miles on it.
Jor2010dan
Noob
Noob

Post by Jor2010dan »

Yes brand new, I broke it in right. By Idle, I meant I let it sit at 2000 for what felt like 20 minutes. It was really like 10.

Anyways. CPS was bad. Go figure