balance questions and then some

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
Zorm
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

balance questions and then some

Post by Zorm »

OK, the inital question is, did a 258 ever have a serp belt set up. #2) since the 258 is externally balanced and the 4.0 internally, what would I need to do to put a 4.0 serp set up on my 258 with the 4.0 head and soon the 2000 4.0 MPFI?
I am thinking if I can find a 258 that had a serp belt, try and find that harmonic balancer then have the 4.0 fly wheel balanced the same as the 4.2 flywheel.

OR can anyone of the stroker pros tell me what the difference is between having the 258 but with a 4.0 head and fuel system/ over the 4.0 package with the 258 crank and rod arms?
would not both engines be the same?

thanks for any input
Missourian
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: balance questions and then some

Post by Missourian »

Zorm wrote:OK, the initial question is, did a 258 ever have a serpentine belt set up.
In short YES, from 1987 to 1990 in the Jeep Wrangler.
Zorm wrote:#2) since the 258 is externally balanced and the 4.0 internally, what would I need to do to put a 4.0 serpentine set up on my 258 with the 4.0 head and soon the 2000 4.0 MPFI?
What makes you believe that one is and the other isn't internally balanced? :smack: You see, both are internally balanced just having varying weights to accomplish the task.
Last edited by Missourian on October 12th, 2011, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a 4.6L STOKER in my 2000 Jeep Wrangler with 4.5" lift on 35" BFG MT and 4.56:1 gears.

Check out Metro Crawlers Image
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

what he said, also the 258 was treated to serpentine setups even earlier in amc eagles. both are intenal balance, and the head swap wont net you as much of a gain as the stroker. my best guess would be likely because of the bore size, but im sure theres more to it than that. ive read quite a few posts of people doing the head swaps, and most are happy with it, but you dont see the true potential until you do the efi. even just to bolt in a stock 4.0 would feel better than a head swap, IMO.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

ok, thanks for the info so far.
I have already done the 4.0 head swap along with a HEI dizzy and the morotcraft 2100 2 bbl carb. Now I was going to toss in a 4.0 with the 2000 intake and up grade to MPFI but after taking the head off the 4.0, I found that the engine needed more work than my already running 258 with the 4.0 head. So, I thought why not just swap over the serp drive stuff I got from a 2001 and run the intake while up grading to the MPFI. So my thought is, would this be kinda a "stroker" then as far as the low end torque and highway driving?
So, then I saw on a few posts that folks were having issues swapping a serp belt onto a 258 that was v belts due to removing the harmonic balancer and causing vibration issues. Anyone hear of this?
Missourian
Donator
Donator

Post by Missourian »

Zorm wrote: So, then I saw on a few posts that folks were having issues swapping a serp belt onto a 258 that was v belts due to removing the harmonic balancer and causing vibration issues. Anyone hear of this?
Harmonic balancers do go bad. I would consider this as a possible source for the vibration.
I have a 4.6L STOKER in my 2000 Jeep Wrangler with 4.5" lift on 35" BFG MT and 4.56:1 gears.

Zorm

Post by Zorm »

they go bad? I thought they were just a chunk of metal
amcinstaller
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

nope. two chunks of metal with some rubber in between them. the problem could have come from the balancers being pulled incorrectly. you need to use a special kind of puller, like a steering wheel puller to pull from the inside, not a standard pulley remover, or jaw type puller.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
tequila mike
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4.6?
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: heep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by tequila mike »

Correct me if i am wrong but for an engine to vibrate from an internal source without a catastrophic failure is near impossible.
Maybe a bad spark plug, plug wire, distributor cap. chunk missing from belt, missing fan blade.+++
Missourian
Donator
Donator

Post by Missourian »

It depends upon the severity of the imbalance. Most OEM engines are not perfectly balanced but their close.

Some vibration is reflective of RPM, cam profile, and the performance of the aspiration system (FI, Carb). You thoughts on spark plug and timing are part of the big picture too.