My first 4.6L STROKER of three planned

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Missourian
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: My first 4.6L STROKER of three planned

Post by Missourian »

Status update: over 20,000 miles on the stroked engine, still running strong. No issues starting even in summer hottest (110°F) or winter's coldest (-20°F). I ran high octane to start but have been using standard octane (87) for nearly two years now.
:cheers:

My only issue to date is with my using a High Volume Oil Pump, the pressure gauge now shows 80 psi. When the motor was first installed, the pressure was 60 psi. This is the oil pressure at highway speeds of 2400-2500 RPM. The pressure does drop off with slower RPM's to idle around 600 RPM. And then the pressure never drops below ~30 psi. So, I don't know if this is cause for concern perhaps the pump is flowing better after break in, I hope it is not cause for concern due to a blockage. The coolant temperature has remain consistent throughout this time, it stays about ~190°F.

Maybe y'all have some input or similar experience?
:stick:

Anyway, I am very happy with my investment. My Jeep is very reliable and much more powerful than stock. Some of the articles I have read in JP magazine and others about Stroking the 4.0L have me wondering where these guys came up with the idea it was not worth the money, time or trouble to stroke a Jeep to 4.6L. Perhaps the motors they were writing about were too aggressive... I don't know.

The Modified Poor Man's Stroker is what I chose for my build with it going into a 2000 Jeep Wrangler w/computer control everything engine. Like I have said; it is very reliable 4.6L STROKER!
:rockout:
I have a 4.6L STOKER in my 2000 Jeep Wrangler with 4.5" lift on 35" BFG MT and 4.56:1 gears.

Check out Metro Crawlers Image
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Congrats on the mileage. Its always good to hear a positive report after the initial build.
Missourian wrote:My only issue to date is with my using a High Volume Oil Pump, the pressure gauge now shows 80 psi. When the motor was first installed, the pressure was 60 psi. This is the oil pressure at highway speeds of 2400-2500 RPM. The pressure does drop off with slower RPM's to idle around 600 RPM. And then the pressure never drops below ~30 psi. So, I don't know if this is cause for concern perhaps the pump is flowing better after break in, I hope it is not cause for concern due to a blockage. The coolant temperature has remain consistent throughout this time, it stays about ~190°F.
I wouldn't think the pressure would increase as things break in. 80psi is quite high. Perhaps the bypass valve in the pump is having an issue. But, first I would verify with a known good mechanical gauge what the true pressure is. Could be a bad stock sending unit.
Some of the articles I have read in JP magazine and others about Stroking the 4.0L have me wondering where these guys came up with the idea it was not worth the money, time or trouble to stroke a Jeep to 4.6L. Perhaps the motors they were writing about were too aggressive... I don't know.
JP Magazine needs to be taken with a cup of salt. I stopped reading it a long ago due to inaccuracies.
Missourian
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Missourian »

SilverXJ wrote:Congrats on the mileage. Its always good to hear a positive report after the initial build.
:cheers:

SilverXJ wrote: I wouldn't think the pressure would increase as things break in. 80psi is quite high. Perhaps the bypass valve in the pump is having an issue. But, first I would verify with a known good mechanical gauge what the true pressure is. Could be a bad stock sending unit.
I may swap the sending unit out from my other 2000 Jeep Wrangler w/4.0L, just to see if it changes. I don't have a 120-150 PSIg direct read gauge to swap in to check it out. I may have to call the engine builder and get his thoughts on this oil pump. Thanks for the advice.
SilverXJ wrote:JP Magazine needs to be taken with a cup of salt. I stopped reading it a long ago due to inaccuracies.
I am coming to that conclusions as well but I am locked in for another two years subscription. It could be worse, I could have paid retail for all those magazines. :brickwall:
I have a 4.6L STOKER in my 2000 Jeep Wrangler with 4.5" lift on 35" BFG MT and 4.56:1 gears.

Check out Metro Crawlers Image