Which Header for CJ with 4.0??

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
captkhaos
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Which Header for CJ with 4.0??

Post by captkhaos »

I see a lot of header discussion here but can't seem to get specific info on which header will fit on a CJ with a 4.0 head swap. I'll go with Borla or Banks or any other $400 or $500 you guys recommend but I want to be sure it'll fit. I'm talking model or part numbers here. Borla has several for the Wrangler and I've got a Wrangler head so that's fine but I'm a CJ guy. I'm not sure if I've ever even been in a Wrangler. Are the frame rails the same width? How about the clutch linkage and steering shaft? I've got a T5 with a hydraulic clutch so linkage is not a problem but the slave cylinder might be. I'm using the stock intake manifold (with a Weber 38/38) and I understand a little "finesse' may be required to get the intake and exhaust to mate. No problem. What I'm afraid of is ordering a header and having it hit the frame or a motor mount. If you used a Borla header (or other) on a similar set up then please tell me the part number. Summit racing has one for the YJ for $400 including shipping. I believe it's p/n 17034. Thanks for the help. I can't be the only one who'd appreciate the info.
I'll post the Dyno results as soon as I have it running.
Thanks Again,
Dan
stroked'73
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1973
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wagoneer

Re: Which Header for CJ with 4.0??

Post by stroked'73 »

Looks like borla #17019 is the one of choice from what i've read. Here's something I copied from hesco's forum regarding a question about a 4.0 head swap kit into a CJ:

"The header I use for this conversion is the 17019 but you can use the 17127 that has a different connection at the exhaust pipe. Or you can use the 17202 if you want true dual to the rear, you will have to have exhaust fabed to the rear.

All the headers will require YOU to modify the P/S bracket to clear the #1 pipe. "
(Leee @ hesco)

I've read a few writeups of folks using this header in cj's and none say anything about clearance issues from frame or motor mounts. Just the p/s bracket, but that'll happen with the stock header too.
Hope that helps some....
1973 Jeep Wagoneer - 4.6L basic stroker, Q-jet/Offy dualport, Comp 68-231, .043" HG, 9.79 scr/8.56 dcr, crappy quench
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by Jeep-Power »

I'm pretty sure any header for a 4.0 head will work.

I ordered the $160 Banks style knock-off (I'm pretty sure this is the identical header Banks sells).

Pics of the install HERE
gmakra
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by gmakra »

I have used both the Banks and Clifford units in my CJ and there were no problems. Banks just redesigned their 4.0 header called the revolver and it has a 2 1/2 inch collector.

Personaly I like Banks stuff.