Block Casting Questions - Looking to Install 2002 Serpentine

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
datmony
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Block Casting Questions - Looking to Install 2002 Serpentine

Post by datmony »

I am putting together my CJ with a stroker in it and I am running into a curious dilema. I have a 95 based block but am running the newer intake with the equal length plenums. I am trying to base the serpentine system for the setup off of the later model (2002 roughly) setup so that I can use the stock constant tensioner. As I was looking at things last night it got me wondering if there was perhaps some casting changes to the block that went along with the changes to the serpentine setup. Is anyone familiar with the changes? Also if someone has some pictures they could share of the layout from a 2000-2005 4.0 (or stroker of course) that would be awesome.

Has anyone done this similar conversion? If yes what were your experiences and what sorts of things did you have to fab together? I am not adverse to building whatever I need to for it but just curious if anyone has already solved this and has advice. I also do have basically an entire ~95 Serpetine system and even an 86 serpentine version as well so i am sure I can put something together that meets my needs but I would rather keep it pretty simple and close to stock if at all possible.

Many thanks.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Block Casting Questions - Looking to Install 2002 Serpentine

Post by gradon »

I made the 99+ intake work on my old 94 XJ by modifying the 94's tensioner, but I recommend that you get the tensioner/power steering setup from a 96+XJ or 97+TJ that will bolt right to the 99+ intake.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by Tinga »

Oh boy, we just went though this who debacle.
Our block 89
Our intake and rig -02

We were able to use the 02 power steering pump and alternator.
The rest was a combination on 89 and 94 .
The alternator bracket, our guys were saying had to be modified...how, I haven't seen yet.
We were able to use our 02 serpentine belt on the older accessories. Most of the front was a block match, except for the water pump,(94) and the clutch fan (94)
datmony
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by datmony »

Can anyone provide some pictures of their setup? Sounds like folks have went through a similar dilema to where I am at the moment. Many thanks in advance.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

You just need the matching 99+ PS Pump and bracket that attaches to the pump and block. The bracket has the adjustable Idler that now will make the belt tight.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Carl
Noob
Noob

Post by Carl »

Differences in the block casting prevent using the entire late model belt/accessory setup. I suggest the OP read the Naxja thread below. You will find the pics you wanted and a little more detail in my post #29.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1016319&page=2
datmony
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by datmony »

This is some very helpful information. Many thanks. I am going to pick up some items this week to piece it together a bit and see what I can do to use some of my old accessories as well. Still would like to use the High flow water pump from Hesco and the Power Welder alternator that I have but worst case I will swap that all out as well. Keep any additional pictures or insight to your own successes coming.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by Tinga »

I'll get some pics posted up of the front here in a bit and a few shots of the home made brackets.
She runs though, very well :)
datmony
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by datmony »

That would be awesome. I went and picked up some local auto parts store pieces to use for fitment (water pump, power steering pump, alternator) and now I am getting a far better idea of what the hodge podge is going to look like once I am done. :) Pics would still be awesome. One other piece that would be really helpful would be a picture of your timing chain cover. I would also like to know from someone running one of the newer covers (2000+) what the casting number is off of it.

When I was eyeing out the Alternator/Idler bracket mounting, I was able to determine where I will fit it to the block (I will need to make a smaller lower steel bracket but that will be easy) but there was a spot where the lower portion of the alt/idler bracket hits the timing chain cover (it is the area where the alternator would have mounted through the cover in the older 95ish serpentine setup). So I am assuming that the casting of that cover has changed over the years as well so it would be good to see a picture of it and get a further idea.

Thanks for all of the help everyone.