sbc 383 stroker temp running high

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Bud
Stroker Displacement: 350
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cj7

sbc 383 stroker temp running high

Post by Bud »

I have a sbc 383 stroker in a 1980 CJ7 Jeep. The problem is when running down the highway around 55 at 3,000 rpm my temp gets up between 225-230*. When crusing
around town at slow speeds my temp never gets over 190* I have a 4 core radiator with elec. fans that are wired to run all the time. I had the radiator checked out and its free and open.
I have a 160* thermostat with a 1/8" hole drilled in it. I have 50/50 mix antifreeze with royal purple additive for cooling. I have cut the fender wells out to allow better air flow around the engine. I have advanced and retarted my timing with no change. The temp sensor is on the head instead of the intake. It has never over flowed on coolant, and its always been easy to start. I'm new to engines
and I'm not a mechanic, but in the old days I remember these old carburated sbc engines running at 180* solid. Don't know what size cam it has but its not stock. I'm running a holley
750 cfm carb and the vaccum advance on my HEI distrubtor is running off the timmed ported side. Where there is no vaccum at idle, but it increases as you throttle it up. I'm at a lost here what
to try next. Any help or idea's would be great.
wjtom
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wj

Re: sbc 383 stroker temp running high

Post by wjtom »

stock hei?if so check your total advance with a timing light.with the vacuum advance hooked up many stock distibutors will get 45 degrees of timing or more.way too much.36-38 degrees total advance at the most.you can buy an after market replacement vacuum advance and it will be adjustable with an allen wrench in the vacuum port.i see this alot with people using stock heis.