4.0 intake and exhaust manifold upgrade

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

4.0 intake and exhaust manifold upgrade

Post by Jeep-Power »

Well, I finally accrued all the neccessary parts and reasons to tuck into the respiratory upgrades for my H.O. I-6.

My goal is a late model intake, stainless performance header with a full 2.25" stainless exhaust, larger injectors, and bored throttle body.

I started with removing the manifolds from the drivers side of the engine.

I had been running the OEM header since I did the 4.0 head swap 3 years ago. The tubing was small (1.75" I.D.) and bombed out due to numerous exhaust retrofits, battles with rocks, and general 4 wheeling carnage.

The muffler I had made about 10 years ago out of a old water filled SS fire extinguisher. It has held up very well, and will be spruced up (again) and installed on the Willys.

The new stainless steel header I bought off Ebay for about $210 (including shipping). As far as I can tell it is exactly what Banks sells as their Touque Tube. This is the SS409 model. Pictured below, before I cut the flange off it, laying on top of the old header.

Here are the "new" and "old" intake manifolds. The 'new ' one is (as far as I know) from '99-'06 4.0's. The 'old' manifold is from '91 - '98 4.0's. I have heard a ton of hype on the late model manifolds that claimed a ton of power increase by installing it. You can clearly see the octopus like design of the late model.

the earlier model has the runners branching off each other

the late model has all the runners meeting in the plenum, which is much larger than the earlier models'. The equal length runners to each cylinder gives them all the same advantage as far as air delivery. I wish I had this manifold on my 258 years ago!

I had a bunch of figuring to do with the exhaust routing, as I was planning on enlarging the exhaust pipe to 2.5" O.D. I first has to cut off the OEM style exhaust flange.

It all took a bunch if times of installing, tacking and rechecking the fit and placement of the parts-- atleat 10 times... here is the final result- the header pipe travels strait down, underneath the clutch linkage. Note the O2 sensor bung.

I have installed a hanger on the pipe to allow the header to be bolted to the engine/transmission assembly. I have found this GREATLY reduces the stresses on the header and allows it to remain crack free for a MUCH longere time.

To establish a serviceable joint between the header and the rest of the exhaust, I have grown fond of using stainless steel plumbing unions. Using copious amounts of anti-sieze when installing and then copious amounts of WD-40 upon removal allows for a maintainence free joint. They hold up very well, provide a great seal, and don't require any sort of gasket.

Here is the one that was removed

I have found that the facets on the nut can make it difficult to get the wrench in just-the-right spot, so I turned the new one smooth on the lathe. It will allow for quick work with a chain wrench. :D

For anyone wondering what a chain wrench is.

The only trouble spot with the late model intake manifold swap is that the power steering pump brackets don't line up -- at all. For starters, I didn't like how close the one bolt hole/mount was to the power steering pump, so I cut it off and cleaned it up.

I then fabbed up a few little parts, tacked them together in-place, took it off and welded it up solid. I was alittle fearful from what I has heard about this part of the install, but it went quickly and easily.

It was then time to install the throttle body, but not before 'boring it out' which entails removing the 'choke' from it's bore. The choke is located below the throttle plate. Again-- having a lathe comes in handy. For those that know the notorious whistle that comes with the 4.0 throttle body, this boring seems to have quieted it down quite a bit.

I installed the freshly painted fuel rail, along with the slightly oversized HESCO 23.2 lb/hr (black -pn 53030778) injectors. This is to make up for the larger throttle body and the increase in displacement from 4.0l to 4.3l (it's a bored 258 bottom end). Note the fuel pressure gauge and adjustable HESCO fuel pressure regulator. I adjusted it to just under the stock 39 lbs., with the vacuum line disconnected.

Running-- I have clear coated the intake to keep it nice and shiny for a while-- we'll see how the laquer holds up to the underhood temps. Especially with parts of it being right next to the exhaust. 8-[

stay tuned for the rest of the install-- the cat ( I reused the one pictured above) and mufler (Dynomax all stainelss glasspack -- ebay $20 brand new!) are together.

As for the performance of it all-- well, it certainly has a bit more throttle snap! It accerates much smoother and has a bit more all through the power range. It was worh the $$, time and materials. I am planning to get it on a dyno some time this winter.

It sure sounds cool.Throaty but not booming. I am anxious to see what an 'unholy' tailpipe will sound like. The tailpipe is slapped on for now-- picks to come of a custom fit model.

Huge thanks to Absolute Auto and Sean Ivey for all the stainless tube, Ebay for the great prices, and Marc Salvatore for the injectors and intake manifold! Biggest thanks to Joanna for allowing me to play with and build my toys!

`
76CJ5

Re: 4.0 intake and exhaust manifold upgrade

Post by 76CJ5 »

Jeep-Power wrote: The muffler I had made about 10 years ago out of a old water filled SS fire extinguisher. It has held up very well, and will be spruced up (again) and installed on the Willys.

`

I know this is off a little but how do you make your own muffler. :lol:
1976 CJ5 with no motor. Can't decide how to build a stroker. Thats why I am here.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

That's good stuff, nice to see a fellow jeeper not worried at all about lopping something off and fabbing up something better.
The SS pipe union is freakin genius ;)
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

now this is some great stuff. this is exactly why ive been waiting for this forum to open up. this is the kind of stuff we dont get at naxja.

anyway, i love that attachment to the bell housing bolts for the down pipe. good idea i bet it does really cut down on header cracks. why did you decide to go with 2.25" pipe? that sure is a great pic of the intake runners at the plenum.

do you have any more pics of that bracket you made for the PS pump to the new style intake? which PS pump is that anyway?

how did you plumb the fuel pressure gauge?

one more, why did you decide to clear coat the intake instead of a high heat paint?
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep-Power »

Wow-- you guys ask some GREAT questions!

I know this is off a little but how do you make your own muffler
Well, frst you have to have the desire and drive to do so. At the time I was too cheap/broke to buy a $100 muffler and eBay wasn't what it is today, so the need was there-- to boot, I was sick of replacing mufflers!

The muffler was made by cutting a section out of a stainless steel (SS) water-based fire extinguisher that I found in the scrapyard.
I then 'squished' it down until it was oval in cross-section, like a regular muffler. It hen cut the oval encaps out of SS sheet metal. It was a little tricky, but I got it done. I then drilled two holes in each piece wit a hole saw. The two tubes lap over each other inside-- they are welded together with two strips of SS. Where they face each other, inside the muffler, I cut slots, so air could pass between them. The ends of the tubes were left open. I then welded the entire contraption together. the patch you see in that pic is when I had to go back in and reweld the srtips that were holding the tubes together-- they had broken loose and were making quite a racket!

The SS pipe union is freakin genius
Thanks! Again, just be sure to use PLENTY of anti-sieze on assembly and PLENTY of WD-40 on dissasembly!

i love that attachment to the bell housing bolts for the down pipe. good idea i bet it does really cut down on header cracks. why did you decide to go with 2.25" pipe? that sure is a great pic of the intake runners at the plenum.

do you have any more pics of that bracket you made for the PS pump to the new style intake? which PS pump is that anyway?

how did you plumb the fuel pressure gauge?

one more, why did you decide to clear coat the intake instead of a high heat paint?

Thanks-- no cracks yet! I'll have to run it through the summer (towing the camper,in the heat, up hills) to give it the ultimate test

The tubes' ID actually measures out something like 2 3/8. I knew I wanted larger than the 1 7/8 i was running. I forget who, but someone on Strokers Yahoo! said they were running 2.5" tube and were very happy with it. Again, I got the tube from the scarap yard--along with the SS unions. It is what was there to be used.

Thanks-- that shot took about 15 to get just right. :)

No-- not too many more pics-- I simply bolted the hunk of metal to the manifild and the the pump to it's mount and set everything in place, as it needed to sit, on the engine. I then fit the small piece to connect them, tacked it in place, then removed it all to weld it up solid. It was really quick and dirty, but plenty strong. The paint took longer to dry.

With the fuel pressure gauge... well, that was a bit of a fiasco-- we found a 1/4 inverted flare fitting for connecting copper tube to a inverted flare. We then tapped it's cone end out to the 1/8" NPT. Using a street elbow, we champfered the inside o fthe male end of the elbow, and cranked it all together, with Permatex Super 300 (Gasket Shellac). It just worked out... don't forget to remove the valve core !!(uses the same tool as a tire valve stem)

The manifold... well it was sooo nice and shiny after cleaning it with Easy Off that I couldn't bear to see it tarnish with the forst snowstorm and salty roads. I figured the underhood temps would play havoc on the regualr old spray laquer I had, but time was short and I needed to 'get-er-done'. So I sprayed on the laquer. To my surprise, it still looks perfect! :shock: Again, the true test will be towing the camper this summer, in the heat, on the hghway hills. :D
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

more questions:
were you able to use the stock size belt?
did your bracket set the pump back about an inch?
is that an XJ pre '95 pump?
any noticeable seat-of-the-pants increase in power?

btw, thats the best solution to bracket problem ive seen so far. looks like a beefy bracket too.
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep-Power »

tigerShark wrote:more questions:
were you able to use the stock size belt?
did your bracket set the pump back about an inch?
is that an XJ pre '95 pump?
any noticeable seat-of-the-pants increase in power?

btw, thats the best solution to bracket problem ive seen so far. looks like a beefy bracket too.

Yes, stock belt and stock mounting location (it didn't move back at all) for the pump (didn't have to change the front mounting plate)

Yes-- this is the stock '81-86 CJ V-belt setup

More power-- Oh yeah! - I notice it the most in the low end-- the other night in the snow (first snow of the seeason-- finally! --we got 3") was a blast! Definte improvement. Defintely worth all the work. I can oly imagine what a mild cam will do! I still have to get it over to the dyno to get any official numbers-- my buddy has one.

Thnaks again!

ps-- here is a detqail of that Fuel Pressure Gauge fitting. I know the 1/4" flare to 1/8" NPT elbows are made-- just hard to find this time.

Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

oh ok, i didnt realize this was a CJ. should have noticed your avatar. from what i can tell thats the same PS pump bracket found on '91-'96 XJs. if it is then i wouldnt say that its in the exact same location as stock. it would be higher up in front of the intake. thats why i was asking about the belt size.

does that PS pump bracket utilize a belt tensioner or did the bracket you used originally have a pulley tensioner? i realize you dont need either with your v-belt setup. just wondering about the origin of the parts you used so i can tell if i will have much trouble replicating this on my XJ.
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep-Power »

Tiger-

I cannot tell you the simmilaritues of the XJ and CJ rear pump bracket. I cna tell you that thsi one is in it's factory location. It has to be for the front PS pump bracket to work and for the ohter rear bracket mounting bolts to line up with the bolt holes in the block ( in the side of the block, below the exhaust manifolds).

The OEM CJ pump does have an integral belt tensioning system. It is a little tricky to figure out (hidden bolts)! :D
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

i know what you mean about that thing being tricky. it always need further tweaking after bolting it back up. lousy design if you ask me.

i will be using your design to make that ps bracket adapter. thank you.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

This thread is great! However i feel it belongs better in the advanced tech section. Please let me know if you dont agree... MOVED
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep-Power »

Muad'Dib wrote:This thread is great! However i feel it belongs better in the advanced tech section. Please let me know if you dont agree... MOVED

Thanks.

No worries man-- do as you do! :D
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

that is some pure genius with the exhaust!! i love the idea of bolting the exhaust to the bell housing. i wonder though if someone had, could they put a newer PS pump on the intake, would it line up. i know this is a vbelt setup, but for the serp setups, would it line up properly?
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep-Power »

that is some pure genius with the exhaust!! i love the idea of bolting the exhaust to the bell housing.
Thanks-- unfortunately I cracked that bellhousing (rectangular hole for the shift fork) and the replacement (square hole for shift fork) didn't have the same bolt hole, so I made a 1/4" steel inspection cover that had a place to bolt the exhaust too.

Sorry-- I can't help you on the PS pump...

Here are the promised pics of the cat/muffler assebly and tailpipe.

Dynomax muffler-- you can see straight through it-- that is the cat's honeycomb down there...

installed-- note 20ga stainless heat shield..

tailpipe above axle-- not the best shot...

rear drivers fenderwell

exhaust tip-- up and out of the way (mostly :D ) of the rocks...
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

Does the old fuel rail fit right onto the 99+ intake manifold? I've got a 97 TJ so I don't have to worry about the power steering. What mods would I have to do to get it for fit my 97?
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB