4.6 detonation issues

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
stlcomanche
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

4.6 detonation issues

Post by stlcomanche »

I just finished building a 4.6 stroker and I am having issues with detonation. It is an 87 block with a ported and polished 7120 head and 99 intake. It is being run on an 87 renix computer. I am running a 4.2 crank and rods and 677AP 40 over pistons. I had a custom cam cut by comp that I am using. It has .435 intake lift and .448 exhaust lift. The duration is 206 intake and 212 exhaust with a lobe separation of 113. My figured SCR is 9.33 and the DCR is 8.07. I am using 24 lb ford injectors with a adjustable fuel regulator and an adjustable map sensor with 93 octane. I also am using an HO TB bored to 62mm.
The cam broke in just fine and the engine idles very well. The problem is that the motor is detonating when I am letting out the clutch or when the motor is under heavy loads. I tried moving the rail pressure up to 49 psi with no luck. I also tried a cooler plug from autolite. It is the equivalent to a champion rc7yc. That didn't seem to work either. Those plugs or the rc9yc plugs didn't look bad when I pulled them out.
If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. I rather not pull the head and enlarge the combustion chambers if possible.

Thanks
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.6 detonation issues

Post by SilverXJ »

Maybe replace the knock sensor? I'm not up and up on renix so I don't know exactly what it does with timing. I.e. if it might push the timing until it sensed knock. How does your TPS sensor check out?
stlcomanche

Post by stlcomanche »

I just put a brand new tps sensor in so it should be ok. The renix knock sensor is new also. There really is no way of checking it though. I hit the block with a hammer to see if it would retard the timing. I had the timing light on but didn't see any difference.
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

out of curiousity what's your quench?
stlcomanche

Post by stlcomanche »

The quench is .088.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Your stroker build specs are pretty close to those of my original stroker build when I had the Crane 753905 cam, and I was able to run 91 octane with Champion RC12LYC plugs.
Something isn't quite right with yours. Are you sure you indexed the distributor correctly?
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
stlcomanche

Post by stlcomanche »

I check the tps and it was a little off and I reset the voltage. It didn't seem to help. I rechecked the dizzy and it seemed like it was in the right spot. I even had a shop check it last week. I did move it slightly a few times but it didn't make a difference in the issue. I guess I will take the knock sensor back because it is under warranty.
stlcomanche

Post by stlcomanche »

I changed the knock sensor and it didn't make any difference. Here is a link to a video of what it sounds like rolling over a block. http://youtu.be/KBLX-sVex2Y
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

It's not ignition, it sounds more like the fan hitting the shroud?, letting out the clutch and under heavy load will torque the motor around alot!, how are your motor mounts?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
stlcomanche

Post by stlcomanche »

It was the fan hitting the shroud! :cheers: I feel like such an idiot. Thanks a lot for all of the responses. I am going to lower that fuel pressure switch the plugs back and reindex the distributor. It should really run well then. :banana:
amcinstaller
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

good to hear! :cheers:
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.