OBDII scanners for laptop

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

OBDII scanners for laptop

Post by oletshot »

Anyone have an opinion on laptop OBDII scanners? I looked at scanners at the parts store, but they all seem to be glorified code readers. I'm looking for something that will do a little more than that for any make of car. It would be great if they let you put the ECM into different test modes. My particular need at the moment is to bleed ABS brakes and need to put the module into "bleed" mode. Do any of the OBD tools allow you to do this type of work, or is it dealer tools only? I thought you guys might have some experience with the laptop scanners.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: OBDII scanners for laptop

Post by SilverXJ »

I believe that the bleed function is a dealer DRB only item. The ones that I know of on a laptop are basically a live data reader. Some will give you access to more OEM viewing options though. Maybe one of Snapon's expensive units can do it though.
astjp2
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by astjp2 »

Look at an OT-2 from innovative. Might be just what you want. Tim
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

Looks like the OT-2 does what the other laptop based software does, only on your iphone/ipod. My phone is android based, but there is an app for it called Torque which looks very similar to OT-2. I just bought an OBD2 bluetooth adapter on ebay. It was cheap, so I thought I'd check it out. I just have to wait for it to come from China, then I can check out the Torque app on my phone. I know it won't do what my original post was asking about (bleed mode for abs), but it looks like cool way of getting trouble codes. Thanks for your help guys.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.