Gonridn's Stroker in a Renix

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Re: Gonridn's Stroker in a Renix

Post by gonridnu »

Hesco water pump and crank spacer with a hand ported stock water neck.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

Distributor side of the block with later A/C hoses, ignition wire loom, and a random wiring harness from the other side of the engine at the bottom of the pic laying on top of the A/C hoses....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gonridnu on May 27th, 2011, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

And the cleanest passenger side inner fende an air conditioned Renix XJ I've ever seen.....
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

Hesco's TPS adapter installed ... took like 1 minute to install the kit + set time
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

And a sneak peak at the long arm....
IrnGynt

Post by IrnGynt »

Thanks! Very helpful.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

My last concern was getting the cruise control to work with the new style throttle cable bracket. I modified the bracket that holds the cruise control to the firewall by bending one end of it opposite of how it was bent. In essence it folds back on itself and positions the cruise unit so the cable is pointing towards the front of the vehicle which works with the newer style throttle body and bracket. A new cut to fit hose for the overflow tank cleared it just fine....
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

I used an Optima dual purpose marine battery when I installed the winch years ago. Rumor has it you are not supposed to use side terminals for connecting winches sooooooo. I added a chassis ground off the negative side of the battery that apparently my vehicle did not come with.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

AA302 injectors will be here tomorrow otherwise the install is complete and ready to fire.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

Cooling system update ....

I've been driving the XJ for several months now. I just did my third oil change. After using the Joe Gibbs BR oil for the recommended 400 miles I cut the oil filter open and all looked good. I then used some Kendall 20W-50 with a jar of E.O.S. I had in the shop for the next 3000. To prepare for winter, just yesterday I used some Castrol 10W-40 I already had on the shelf as well. I cut the oil filter again and all looks well. As you can tell I'm tryin' to clean the shop up a lil by using up the stuff I already have:)

I have had ZERO issues with the engine since break in, no leaks, no weird noises, nothing at all (until this weekend when I broke yet another cooling surge tank). I have gone wheeling several times and the Mrs. used it as a daily driver for a couple weeks while I did a clutch and some other things to the turbo Diesel. It gets about 17 MPG around town on 31.5's with a 4.10 locker and a roof rack. It might get better with some different tires 'cause I am using Super Swampers which has precluded me from taking iton any extended drives cause they are so damn loud.

So about the RENIX "closed" cooling system. This weekend while wheeling I cracked what is my 4th or 5th plastic surge tank for the Renix style cooling system. I probably would have switched to later model cooling a long time ago had I not already purchased a 3 row copper brass radiator about 10 years ago.. That and I just put on all new hoses within the last 15,000 miles or so and between the two I was looking at another $275 or so and a bunch more work to switch over. Just as a side note, you will recall I also installed a Hesco water pump and massaged my thermostat housing.

When the Renix style cooling system is working properly it cools the vehicle just fine under all conditions I've had it in. The only problem I've had with it is the plastic cooling tanks. There's a bunch of threads out there talking about using different caps and bottles and honestly I couldn't see where guys were completely happy so today I ordered an O.E.M. replacement aluminum tank from Mac's Radiator. Since this is the ONLY piece I've had go wrong with my cooling system in 20+ years and I already have new hoses and a good radiator it just worked out better for me.

It is a "bolt in' piece fabricated from aluminum sheet metal with the correct outlets and locations and runs $129 plus shipping which includes a standard style radiator cap. There's really no reason this shouldn't be the last fix of this crappy factory part and aftermarket replacements. They come in natural finish aluminum and diamond plate. If you are keeping your Renix style cooling system they are a worthy investment as failure of the plastic bottle could result in catastrophic engine failure.

Here is the current link to Mac's Radiator http://macsradiator.com/shop/surge-over ... tanks.html
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

So i guess its been several years since i built the stroker and it still runs just fine. Here is a new pic with added flat fenders and 34's....
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

FB_IMG_1471646230435.jpg
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Very much like! I've always been a sucker for XJ's. Even more so more now that I have two little screaming snot monsters.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

I ordered a set of used 21 lb and 22 lb injectors. By my calculation the 22 lb injectors should be the correct size relative to the increase in cubic inches.

The 22lb injectors I got are a pink Bosch 4 hole disc design (0 280 155 832) with the EV6 body and and EV1 connector. Some cat on Ebay is selling them for a BMW but I have reason to believe they belong to a Ford Contour.

I got some old style pink EV1 style 21lb just in case the 22's are too big 'cause I really wanna make this thing pass smog as a stroker.

I think I'll put the pig on a dyno to check the a/f mixture throughout the entire powerband. There is a place in Henderson that seems reasonable. http://www.dougsdyno.com/services.html
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

Come to Papa you beautiful thing you ....

Bought this t-case off of Pirate 4x4. My wife is on her way home with it now. I already have the Novak shifter for this baby. The way the t-case fits with the long arm crossmember should allow for plenty of clearance all the way around. Once it is installed, we'll trailer it over to Adams's Driveshaft in Henderson so they can make it move. http://adamsdriveshaftoffroad.com/