Oil for 4.6L stroker

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
AMDninjaboy
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Oil for 4.6L stroker

Post by AMDninjaboy »

Ive seen some posts with people saying to use Rotella T oil in the stroker engines. I have built a 4.6L stroker for my boss' 04 TJ, the Jeep is for running in the Baja 500 and 1000, no street use anymore.. Should I be using the rotella oil in this engine? I thought rotella was for diesel engines, Ive only ever seen 15W40 rotella t, is that the recommonded oil? Like I say its gonna be blasting accross desert in 100* heat so if the rotella will be better for it I will run that instead. Last thing I need is the engine :boom: in the middle of the desert from not running the right oil..

Thanks
Shane.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Oil for 4.6L stroker

Post by SilverXJ »

I wouldn't use diesel oil anymore. It has had the ZDDP reduced as well. You would probably be good with Joe Gibbs high zinc oil or a the locally obtainable Valvoline Racing oil. Don't confuse the Valvoline racing oil with their VR1. The racing oil comes in a black bottle and is NSL (Not street legal). It has a high zddp content.
AMDninjaboy
Noob
Noob

Post by AMDninjaboy »

What is ZDDP? I havent heard of this before.. What does the high zinc content do for the engine??
YJason
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by YJason »

Rotella is also available in 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 30 weights that I have seen at the local Rural King.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

About ZDDP: http://automotivemileposts.com/zddp.html http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

In short it is what protects our flat tapped camshafts and lifters.

API rating CI-4+ for diesel oil and SJ for gas oil are the newest you want to go. Oils with API ratings of CJ-4, SN, SM, and SL you don't want.
http://www.api.org/certifications/engin ... 120210.pdf

Search the web for more information.
AMDninjaboy
Noob
Noob

Post by AMDninjaboy »

Ok thanks for the info guys, I will do more research..

Shane.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

SLs are the good ones Chris(many of them were).
AMDninjaboy
Noob
Noob

Post by AMDninjaboy »

Ok did some searchin and found Valvoline has a racing oil, Pennzoil, Amsoil. The amsoil has a high zinc content, says right on the front of the bottle.. I got to thinking though, the engine in my 04 Jeep has a roller cam, lifters and roller lifters. Do I need to run the high zinc or is it just for flat tappets? Im still leaning towards getting a better oil that just the regular stuff as this engine is gonna be pulling 3000Rpm+ constantly and in 110 deg heat in the desert of Mexico.. was looking at the Amsoil 20w50..

Shane.
unlimitedrubicon
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by unlimitedrubicon »

The higher ZDDP requirement is for flat tappets only, but not bad in general unless you go too high and kill your cats. Out of curiosity, which roller cam are you running? How many miles do you have on it, and what are your thoughts?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

If you have a roller cam you have either a 505 performance cam or the Mopar roller stroker. If it is a 505 Performance its a cast cam core and I would still recommend the high zinc oil for that. I don't know (nor do I know anyone that does know) the details fo the Mopar parts.
I6FAN
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by I6FAN »

I came across this article a while back, and thought it was about the most comprehensive explanation for cam oiling issues I've seen. This guy talks about the first few seconds/minutes of engine operation determine the life of a lobe and lifter. He even suggests marking pushrods with a marker, and if you don't see it spinning try to manually get it turning by hand. I've never heard of that before (sounds like you would want to be very careful from pinchpoints). Hope the link works.
http://www.britishmotoring.net/current_ ... o_full.pdf
AMDninjaboy
Noob
Noob

Post by AMDninjaboy »

Ya Im running the 505 cam,lifters and roller rockers. So far so good, have actually only been testing so far, no real sustained high speed yet.. Since this will be strictly off road racing vehicle(Baja 500,1000 purpose built) I got rid of the cats and muffler, custom made front pipes to connect to the 505 performance header, its 2.5" outlets so wasnt even close to connecting to stock head pipe. Engine seems very responsive and power seems to be very good too.. Im running and SDS engine management setup(fuel and ignition control,all programable) running about 10.5:1 compression with a custom iron head and running 100 Octane LL av fuel. My boss has a helicopter and a couple planes and has easy access to the av fuel.. To fill the 32 Gal fuel cell with 100LL costs almost $250.. But better safe than sorry, would rather have a bit too much octane and not have to worry about detonation...

Shane.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Amsoil does have some other high Zinc oils: http://jeep.blackonyx.net/forum/Amsoil_ ... Tappet.pdf

Brad Penn has a semi-synthetic high zinc oil and Joe Gibbs makes a good dino oil with high zinc. And as I said before the Valvoline Racing oil is good (not the VR1).
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Isn't AV gas leaded?
AMDninjaboy
Noob
Noob

Post by AMDninjaboy »

Yes, av gas is leaded, its 100LL. 100 octane, low lead. I picked up a case of Amsoil 10w40 high zinc oil, gonna use that, Baja 500 here we come...

Shane.