turbocharged

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Spliffotticle
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.59L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: WJ

turbocharged

Post by Spliffotticle »

I am interested in knowing who is running boost and what your DCR is. Please give useful specs if you are going to spec drop. We like dimensions in our tech forum, not brand names.
bored, check. stroked, check. turbocharged, check. functional, information unavailable
Jeep's Jake
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: turbocharged

Post by Jeep's Jake »

Well I suppose I can try to start this off. It's nothing too crazy, but it still gets up and moves...

Stock 4.0
8 PSI with an M90
Mild head/Intake work
MP head gasket
Comp 68-232-4

The calculator on this site puts me at roughly 7.7:1 DCR before boost.
Spliffotticle
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Spliffotticle »

I am really staring to worry that my 9.4-1 dcr is an obstacle. I have no low end what so ever but I'm not sure I'm all put together right. I will probably need to bone up on cam advancement and the CPS relation:'( I guess I should have started a thread about CPS and cam advancement....

bore: 3.935"
stroke: 3.895"
combustion chamber: 58cc
deck clearance:.0085"(decked .013")
gasket:.051"
gasket bore: 4"
dish: 13cc
connecting rod length: 5.875"
comp cam 68-115-4 advanced 4*
duration 240*
angle of separation: 108*
displacement: 284.21ci (4.66l)
SCR: 10.33
DCR: 9.4
quench.05949
IVC angle: 44*

turbocharged running 91 (obviously not building boost while I'm falling on my face)
bored, check. stroked, check. turbocharged, check. functional, information unavailable
Spliffotticle
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Spliffotticle »

Spliffotticle wrote:I am really staring to worry that my 9.4-1 dcr is an obstacle. I have no low end what so ever but I'm not sure I'm all put together right. I will probably need to bone up on cam advancement and the CPS relation:'( I guess I should have started a thread about CPS and cam advancement....
er... I mean CMP Image
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

how much boost are you running at that high of a compression? everybody i've talked to about my build said at 9.55 scr i'm at the max to be able to run even 10 lbs of boost
Spliffotticle
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Spliffotticle »

I haven't even bothered looking @ boost level yet because I am falling on my face before boost comes around.... I set my intercooler up with a BOV on it directly as well as an adjustable pop-off valve set @ 10psi... until I get to the using boost phase.
Jeep's Jake
Noob
Noob

Post by Jeep's Jake »

Ill be interested to see what kind of boost that will tolerate when you get it going. Not to repeat what you already know, but I agree with what was said in your cam post - that the TPS and the large TB are your low end issue. What kind of MAP sensor setup are you running?

As a side note on boost, my only detonation occurs at part throttle, lugging, between 0 and 2 PSI in 5th gear. High RPMs and/or full pressure work great without pulling timing. The high DCR may limit your total amount of boost, but should make for a great all around engine with some huge pickup even at 5 pounds of boost.
Spliffotticle
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Spliffotticle »

Jeep's Jake wrote: What kind of MAP sensor setup are you running?
Stock with a check valve on it. I heard the computer doesn't like to find out it has pressure & not vacuum.
Jeep's Jake
Noob
Noob

Post by Jeep's Jake »

Yea I hate to say it but In my experience the stock sensor does nothing but cause problems. Some people buy a boost referenced FPR to make the stock MAP work... supposedly. Never tried it, but for the money (and the sake of your high compression engine) I think you'd be better off doing a GM 2 bar sensor conversion or spend the extra $$$ and get an FTC-1. The timing control is invaluable and the fuel curve can be properly adjusted for injector size, load, boost, etc. Their customer support rocks too.

What is everyone else running as far as engine management goes? Anyone make the stock sensor work without stumbling, lean conditions or above all - that stupid CEL?
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Post by 4.whoa »

That's not gonna work right @all. You really need the 2 bar. Even if the check valve let's it run right n/a (won't if its sealing tightly) when the boost comes in without referenced fuel alterations..... Well its not gonna be good.
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
Spliffotticle
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Spliffotticle »

4.whoa wrote:That's not gonna work right @all. You really need the 2 bar. Even if the check valve let's it run right n/a (won't if its sealing tightly) when the boost comes in without referenced fuel alterations..... Well its not gonna be good.
This seems very vague. Can you go into further detail with some references even? Personally, when I minister, I like to give scripture references to back up what I say. On the fly... kinda hard. For a lesson, however, I try to prepare not only the theorem, but also the basis for my postulation, which is what I cite. You seem to have some useful info but you only hinted at the revelation of it. Does somebody know more than they are letting on??? ALSO! I was thinking about plumbing the MAP to the inlet of the turbo so it will always read vacuum (as well as everything else vac operated besides brakes) ... . . . You ever heard of anything like this?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

You will need a piggy back, a 2 bar MAP sensor and larger injectors. The stock PCM doesn't know what to do with boost nor can the stock MAP sensor read it. And if you don't already have one you will want a wide band O2 sensor setup. Bryson on NAXJA had good luck using an AEM unit for the piggy back. Also, as others have said that throttle body is too large and you need to fix the TPS.
montelibre
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by montelibre »

Perhapas my last post can learn what not to do...
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

montelibre wrote:Perhapas my last post can learn what not to do...
Yes. http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=2474

What happens when you try to run boost using larger injectors on an otherwise stock fuel system.
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Post by 4.whoa »

Spliffotticle wrote:
4.whoa wrote:That's not gonna work right @all. You really need the 2 bar. Even if the check valve let's it run right n/a (won't if its sealing tightly) when the boost comes in without referenced fuel alterations..... Well its not gonna be good.
This seems very vague. Can you go into further detail with some references even? Personally, when I minister, I like to give scripture references to back up what I say. On the fly... kinda hard. For a lesson, however, I try to prepare not only the theorem, but also the basis for my postulation, which is what I cite. You seem to have some useful info but you only hinted at the revelation of it. Does somebody know more than they are letting on??? ALSO! I was thinking about plumbing the MAP to the inlet of the turbo so it will always read vacuum (as well as everything else vac operated besides brakes) ... . . . You ever heard of anything like this?
Well, i wasn't meaning to preach. ;) When you have a n/a engine the map reads either vaccum or not and adjusts to what its programed is needed for that reading. when you boost it , it needs to adjust according to the pressure. if it cant sense pressure it wont know its getting all that FORCED air and wont add enough fuel, so it will be lean and everyone knows thats death to a blown/turbo'd or nitrous injected engine. If theres no fuel to "eat" it will find something else.As for hooking the map to the turbo inlet... I haven't heard of it done that way, but again it wont see the boost ,so I think it will still not be right.

Sorry, i don't remember exactly where I read what,so i can't say with certianty "this told me" or "who said what". 8-)
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST