4.6L head pipe

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
AMDninjaboy
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

4.6L head pipe

Post by AMDninjaboy »

Im trying to figure out the exhaust on this 04 Jeep TJ. We have a 4.6L stroker in it with a SDS stand alone fuel injection/ ignition system. The majority of engine stuff was bought from 505 Performance but Zach wont answer my questions anymore. It has a header on it from 505, I cant see a name on it anywhere. Its a dual outlet and each one seems to be about 2.5", its 3.5" across the bolt holes in the exhaust flange. Im just wondering if anyone else has ever used this header or a similar one that is sized like that. The stock head pipe flanges will go right up inside the new header, they are way too small. Is there an aftermarket pipe available somewhere that is the proper size for the larger header or is it get a custom one made or modify the stock one with larger flanges? This jeep doesnt need to be street legal, its gonna run in the Baja 500/1000 so no more street duty. Anyone have any suggestions

Thanks,
Shane.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.6L head pipe

Post by SilverXJ »

Do you have precats or not?

If you don't have precats it probably would be best to have a custom down pipe made. However, I am not familiar with their header do I can't give you an answer on their intended installation regarding the down pipe.
AMDninjaboy
Noob
Noob

Post by AMDninjaboy »

Ya I did have the pre-cats, talked to a buddy at the exhaust shop and he modded them for me.. I searched for a new pipe but couldnt come up with anything and emailed Zach about it but thats like :deadhorse: ... Thanks...

Shane.
boman40

Post by boman40 »

I been looking for parts like you for the exhaust on my 2001 tj. I went with Banks header, exhaust pipe and muffler.
The Y pipe with cats was hard to locate, got it from 4 wheel drive hardware, mag. flow. The cat from 4 wheel parts, mag. flow.
I looked for a couple of weeks before I ran across these items. The y pipe was original order from 4 wheel parts, but they said
that they could not get it and sent money back. It took over a month for me to get all the parts except gaskets and O2 sensors
for the new exhaust.
I also looked on 505 site and did not see that header listed but companies add new products all the time. There is just not
people updating their exhaust since they last longer. The exhaust on tj is still good, just the muffler is going to go out, starting
to show rust spots. So I decided to up grade it.
AMDninjaboy
Noob
Noob

Post by AMDninjaboy »

Ya I emailed Zach about a head pipe for the header and he didnt reply all he told me was they sell a header( I know I already have it). I ended up going to see a friend at a Midas muffler and he custom made me new head pipes with flanges to replace cats. I just had to fit and weld them on in the right position and he made me a 2.25" pipe to go from back of head pipe to just past skid plate then I just put a turn down on it.. Works like a charm and it sounds great now too!!

Shane.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

Can you post some up and close pics of the header? You might be the first one here to try it. There's only a few 2.5" outlet headers for our Jeeps and it looks like your experience has answered my question if 505 provides a downpipe.
AMDninjaboy
Noob
Noob

Post by AMDninjaboy »

Well we made it to the Baja 500 with the Jeep. Engine ran good, lots of power even with the steep gears we have in it.. Lots of pull and it pulls clean from 1500 to 4500 rpm.. I will try and get some pics of the exhaust setup when I redo the suspension.. Many changes planned for the Jeep so we can win class 3.. Custom springs, Bilstein Bypass shocks for the front and 3.0 shocks on the rear. New fuel cell, bigger tires as the ruts were taller than the 33" tires we have. Will probably go to 37" BFG Baja's.. Also gonna put in a 3spd tcase just to give an extra gear ratio option..
I must also say im sorry to Zach at 505 for raggin on him. we stopped there on the way home from Mexico and he is a great guy. He is very busy so that explains his lack of time to email people as im sure he gets lots of emails.. We picked up a dual supercharger setup for a car im building for the boss, he helped us fix our jeep, took us to see other jeep builds and took us out wheelin in his 'Blazer".. It was an awesome time..