Late model TJ Stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Cannonball
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Rubicon

Late model TJ Stroker

Post by Cannonball »

Has anyone done a late model 2003 - 2006 TJ Stroker engine......

Im wondering about compatibility with the computer / ignition and fuel systems.

How much power did you build into it and how does it perform? Do you use it as a daily driver and if so is it dependable and reliable enough for your wife or my wife to drive?

What are you getting for fuel mileage better or worse than before all things being equal, driving styles, tire sizes and gear ratios?

Are you happy with it and would you do it again or would you do something different?

Thanks I am researching because I want to do this next winter but dont want to make a mistake and do something wrong and regret it or have to do something over. Im old school and this looks more like new school to me cause Im dealing with a computer engine for the first time.

Thanks

CB
unlimitedrubicon
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Late model TJ Stroker

Post by unlimitedrubicon »

Mine is a 2005 and so far no major issues. When I have more time I can share my thoughts and experiences up to this point, but in short, yes it is doable.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Cannonball wrote:Has anyone done a late model 2003 - 2006 TJ Stroker engine......
I'm wondering about compatibility with the computer / ignition and fuel systems.
It's doable and I'd suggest that the "poor man's" simple stroker approach is likely to be the most successful 'cause the spec doesn't deviate far from stock. It's also cheap to do 'cause the only non-stock parts you'd need are the 258 crank, IC944 pistons, Accel 24lb injectors, and EV1 to EV6 injector adapters. You can reuse your 4.0 rods with new ARP 112-6001 rod bolts, and gain a few more ponies by porting the head.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Cheromaniac wrote: Accel 24lb injectors, and EV1 to EV6 injector adapters.
Keep in mind that the 05+ (possibly earlier?) TJ uses a higher fuel pressure of 58 +- 2 psi, as I learned from unlimitedrubicon
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

My stroker was in a 2003 Jeep. It was running good and had no issues until I totaled the Jeep. The stroker had 18,000 miles. It got somewhere aroung 19.5 MPG with 3.07 gears and 235/75/15 tires, and manual trans. It ran good, and had more power than the stock 4.0. Not earth shaking power but it ran good.

I bought another 2003 TJ, and I do miss my stroker (The stock 4.0 is lacking power). This Jeep is going to get a Dodge 360 magnum engine. I just bought a 2002 5.9 with 82,000 miles for $650.00. After I sell my stock 4.0 (63,000 miles), I should be able to do the swap for around the same price or cheaper than the stroker.
obryan
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by obryan »

I have an 01 TJ sport with the 4L, building to 4.7L as we speak.

So, im new to the stroker realm. I kinda accidentally got into the idea. My stock cylinder head cracked (yeah its an 01 tj with the 0331 head....woohoo :( ). So i had to put a new head on the motor regardless since antifreeze was leaking in my oil and my oil pressure was dropping cause my mains were starting to wear.....So the motor is shot (only 160km on it) and i decided to rebuild mine.
Im just wondering what special stuff needs to be done before installing the motor and hooking everything up.

My two main concerns are the camshaft position sensor which needs to be realigned when the motor is at tdc. I have AllData and it kinda helps but nothing compares to getting hints and tricks from seasoned vets.

The next one is how the flywheel is supposed to be oriented so the sensor on the bellhousing can pick up the notches in the flywheel....Help on that would be super.

Also, in regards to bigger injectors, i just had my stock ones completely serviced and flowchecked for a lovely 200 bucks, do i have to up the pounds? Im thinking i might since my compression ratio is going to be in the neighborhood of 9.5-10.... the quench area "should" be around 0.043The head that im replacing it with is getting the port/polish of a lifetime and a 3 way valve job...with the compression being as high as it is, would i need larger injectors, or would the pcm be able to compensate enough????

I feel like im starting to get bogged down by all the little stuff. if anyone has anything that would help when they worked on one of a similar year, it would be much appreciated.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

SilverXJ wrote: Keep in mind that the 05+ (possibly earlier?) TJ uses a higher fuel pressure of 58 +- 2 psi, as I learned from unlimitedrubicon
Good point. In that case you could use the '98 Chevy LS1 injectors (Part no. 12533952) that are rated at 25.2lb/hr @ 58psi.
flyer1
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.9
Vehicle Year: 2006

Re: 4.9 stroker build

Post by flyer1 »

I am building a stroker for my 06 TJ Rubicon. 4.9 as a kit from Titan with 8.9 compression ratio. Any one out there with the same? I would like to ask a few questions.
TJ9999
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L

Post by TJ9999 »

Hi CB,

Yes, I did this on a 2004 model TJ, I have a 4.7L stroker.

My build specs:
4.2L crankshaft
Forged pistons with a CR of 9.5:1, larger diam. 1.52mm and a dish of 25cc.
Crane Cams 204/216
Larger Mopar Performance oil pump.
K&S carbon direct air intake with K&N filter.
6 in 1 Banks torque tube header and 3" Banks exhaust outlet.

Next to come/planned: Roller Rockers ratio 1,6 (Harland Sharp S40196), different injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator

To answer your questions:

1) No compatibility problems with the computer and fuel systems
2) It should be around 250hp at the crank now, the difference to stock is very noticable. I don't use it as a daily driver but I could, my wife drove the TJ to work sometimes. Drivability is very good. Reliability: had no single problem yet after 3000 miles and no overheating. It passed the emission/polution tests succesfully here in France.
3) Fuel milage is bout 10% worse than before but hey it was already bad anyhow and I drive this jeep for the fun. I run 35" superswampers and 4.10 rubicon gear ratio so fuel milage is not fantastic, after 200 miles my tank is empty and 91 octane unleaded costs almost 12$ per gallon here in France.
4) Very happy - best bang for your buck - would do it again!

@ SilverXJ: I believe (but am not sure) that my 2004 jeep injectors run a higher fuel pressure, like the 2005 specs you gave. That is what my mechanic told me.
I am still running my stock injectors, they do fine so far. But I'm looking into optimizing things and and wondering which injectrs I should pick. The 24# Ford ones might be too much at the higher pressure?
Cannonball wrote:Has anyone done a late model 2003 - 2006 TJ Stroker engine......

1) Im wondering about compatibility with the computer / ignition and fuel systems.

2) How much power did you build into it and how does it perform? Do you use it as a daily driver and if so is it dependable and reliable enough for your wife or my wife to drive?

3) What are you getting for fuel mileage better or worse than before all things being equal, driving styles, tire sizes and gear ratios?

4) Are you happy with it and would you do it again or would you do something different?

Thanks I am researching because I want to do this next winter but dont want to make a mistake and do something wrong and regret it or have to do something over. Im old school and this looks more like new school to me cause Im dealing with a computer engine for the first time.

Thanks

CB
TJ Rubicon 4.7L stroker 2004 *** Willys M201 ex french army 1957
Cannonball
Vehicle Model: Rubicon

Post by Cannonball »

Okay I am back after a year away. I have been battling cancer and still have it BUT I will be a survivor!
Getting back to this project, I have an automating trans in my 2004 Rubicon, the 42RLE. I dont have enough power into a head wind to maintain highway speeds without the trans dropping out of OD and then its running at 3000 rpm. So based on that I really use fuel.

If I could get a little more power 50-75 HP @ the crank I think the trans would love it and not have to drop gears so often. This trans is a computer controlled one and there are no programs out that help. Trans swap is out of the question too.I dont even know what the OE horsepower is in 2004? The auto trans does suck lots more power than the manual trans does in my wife's 2003 Rubicon which still has the 4:10 gears and handles the highway with no issues. the 2004 with 4;56 gears math matically is the correct number but driving the two I swear the auto trans is robbing 30% usable HP.

Back to the stroker line of thinking,

Cheromaniac reading posts you seem to be pretty much a gear head with a great deal of knowlege on these engines. What kind of real world horsepower gains can one expect with the poor mans stroker as apposed to going to the 4.7 or something else? If money were not an option what would be your ultimate choice for a good allaround poere house that still hade good drivability characteristics and decent feul mileage? I have heard bad things about the titan kits and would perfer to simply source the "correct" parts like you out lined. What are your thoughts about oiling systems? like TJ 9999 commented a larger oil pump- well that does not tell me really anything. There are high volume oil pumps and high pressure oil pumps. I have always thought high pressure is for higher RPM engines where your friction load increases and the high volume pumps are for the low rpm engines where you simply want more or better oiling/flow. reading lots about cam and valve train failures (more break in and installation related) but would you recommend any improvements to the oil system? Im researching this hard now as this will become my winter project and I can start gathering parts over the next few months.

I dont know if any new or improved parts are now on your list so if you could please reevaluate the project and offer any additional info I am all about saying thank you in advance.

Porting heads? any guidelines to follow or is just port matching much of this?
any other head work needed? Is there a better head out there to use? Should I just get a head thats done? I assume the junk yard donor engine may have lots of miles on it already.
Should I get a better Crank & Rods? Forged?

And an after thought, I have headers on the 2004 and have removed the post O2 cat running 3" tube in its place and a magna flow exhaust. My exhaust tail pipe is always sooty black ( running ritch?) what do I do to make sure I am not over fueling both now and after the Stroker install. Too large of an injector could cause this or will building some sort of adjustable MAP/ O2 sensor control be better.

On the plus side I do have a guy with a dyno 6 miles from my house I plan to work with when this all gets done to maximize fuel consumption vs hp gains. I can sacrifice some HP in order to gain mileage but bottom line is I need to get more HP into this trans so I have more available to the ground.

Rambling here , sorry! But I thought getting more info out there on how I drive it would help all of you help me select the correct options. I drive it about 10K a year but it is my daily driver and I plan on driving it a long time I love it and dont want anything else! The 5.7 hemi only means lots of money ($12-$15k) on an engine swap and higher fuel costs as well as a sure way to grenade the factory Dana 44 axles.

You guys are great and I appreciate the patience you have with me as an old guy with an analog brain living in a digital world!

Thanks!

CB