Stroker Performance Issues

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
txhotrod
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Stroker Performance Issues

Post by txhotrod »

I had a 4.5 Stroker built and dropped into a 1997 Wrangler. I am having lots of issues. First off when it gets warm, it doesn't like to start. It will backfire on occasion and it like to die out a times. I have 24# race injectors with the 4 holes. But it acts like its starving for fuel. Is there a way to tell if it is? I am a old carb guy and trying to learn this fuel injection stuff. Is the computer programmable or updateable? Is this a fuel pressure issue or a timing issue? I tried to check the timing but there is no timing mark on the balancer?! WTH! ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Thanks,
Joe
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Stroker Performance Issues

Post by SilverXJ »

Sounds like you have a professional products balance. Mine didn't have a timing mark either. You will have to find TDC with the #1 spark plug removed and some sort of long rod on top of the piston and bring it up to TDC. I don't know how close you will be able to get using that method though. Use this method to set timing: http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/dist_index.html

Youd computer is at fault, nor will reprogramming it fix your problem. You have something else wrong.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

I agree that your timing is off. Follow the above advice and get yourself a good obd2 scanner and monitor the fuel trims--that'll tell you what the PCM is doing to adjust.
obryan
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by obryan »

I have a technical question. Im running 10.2 static compression and am wondering if it might be a bit off since i found out that the guy that did all the head work on my jeep actually shaved off 8 thou off the head....how much if any would that increase the compression ratio?

if anyone has any thoughts on this..please let me know
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Post by gonridnu »

.008" is about the thickness of a human hair and also near the minimium you can take off a cylinder head to create a new surface using anything other than a wet surfacer. I cc'd mine before and after surfacing but don't really remember what the difference is. If I had to make an educated guess based on the existing combustion chamber size I would say that you are looking at about 1cc for every .005" - .008"
racing89
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 306 ci
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

Post by racing89 »

.108" off my race head made it approx. 58cc. Believe it or not.