UPDATE- ENGINE FAILURE - 4.7L build from scratch

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
superj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Re: UPDATE- ENGINE FAILURE - 4.7L build from scratch

Post by superj »

wow, thats a horrible time you had this year with this build. i don;t know what i would have done had i been in your spot. i am glad its running good at last check in and since nothing has been said in a month, seems like it is still running good
We broke something, I think it was traction.
doublins
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 5.2L V8 (was 4.7L)
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by doublins »

dwg86 wrote:How's the stroker running?
She´s running great! Oil pressure is great, operating temp is great, engine runs and sounds great, overall, everything is well... great :) I´ve been daily driving her for about a month now and all is well- I haven´t posted because I didn´t want to jinx myself, lol.

Thanks for the concern!

-Chris
doublins

Post by doublins »

superj wrote:wow, thats a horrible time you had this year with this build. i don;t know what i would have done had i been in your spot. i am glad its running good at last check in and since nothing has been said in a month, seems like it is still running good
Honestly, I was about ready to cry- I was so frustrated. On a laughable note- I am pretty sure I hold the record for fastest one-man engine removal from a TJ- I was so mad the last time, I had the engine out and on the stand, by myself, start to finish, in my single townhouse garage, in somewhere just shy of four hours if my memory serves me. Hopefully that was the last time I´ll ever have to do it, because if this engine fails, I´m saying goodbye to the straight 6 and just dropping in a chevy V8- for all of the time and money I´ve had in my stroker i could have done a v8 swap like two times over. Thinking about that makes me queasy...

But anyway, yeah she´s running good, finally! All smiles for now,
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

awesome to hear that its going well now! and yea, that is pretty fast to rip that thing out :o
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
jeep7081
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by jeep7081 »

After reading that, I am a little worried :(
doublins

Post by doublins »

jeep7081 wrote:After reading that, I am a little worried :(
If it makes you feel any better, at least the thing has been running fine (knock on wood). I will say this, though- had I known in advance (20/20 hindsight) all of the problems I would face, how many times I would have to pull the engine (four), how much money I would have to spend, how much downtime my jeep would have, I would NEVER have gone the stroker route- I would have tried V8 route- or left it all alone- after all my 200,000 mile original motor was running just fine. But, there was no way to predict going into it how bad it would be, and at least for now I'm happy with my jeep. I did come close to pushing it into the ocean, though... lol
doublins

Post by doublins »

doublins wrote:
jeep7081 wrote:After reading that, I am a little worried :(
If it makes you feel any better, at least the thing has been running fine (knock on wood). I will say this, though- had I known in advance (20/20 hindsight) all of the problems I would face, how many times I would have to pull the engine (four), how much money I would have to spend, how much downtime my jeep would have, I would NEVER have gone the stroker route- I would have tried V8 route- or left it all alone- after all my 200,000 mile original motor was running just fine. But, there was no way to predict going into it how bad it would be, and at least for now I'm happy with my jeep. I did come close to pushing it into the ocean, though... lol
Spoke too soon, see http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=3912