Stainless Steel Valves & HS Roller Rockers

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
captkhaos
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Stainless Steel Valves & HS Roller Rockers

Post by captkhaos »

I sent an email to Odessa Machine Shop or Clearwater Cylinder Heads today (eBay 4.0 Head Conversions). The guy on the phone said they're the same shop but Odessa is the eBay side. I want to by the "upgrade" head I think.... it has stainless steel valves. In my email asked if they put new keepers, seals guides etc.; their ad says "as needed". I'll post the reply here when I get it. Has anyone tried one of their heads?

My question to you guys is this: Why would I want Stainless Steel valves? More power? Longer life? It seems from what I've read here that once I swap valves I'll be in a mess with keepers, guides, seals, springs, etc. if I want to change later. Has anyone installed SS valves and seen an improvement?

Also, as long as its apart, I figured I add Harland Sharp S 40196 RR's. Will thay add more power? I mean noticable power? I put a mild Crane cam in the 258... noticable power and much wider power band. I added a header... noticeable power there too. I'm sure the head swap will add a lot but the roller rockers... at $350 bucks I want to "feel' something besides cool.

Thanks for the help guys. I've been driving this Jeep for 28 years and still love it. I just want to love it more that's all.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Stainless Steel Valves & HS Roller Rockers

Post by SilverXJ »

Stainless steel valve can stand up to more abuse than the standard valves. And if they are swirl polished they can help flow. They are probably using ones for the Magnum 5.2L/5.9L engine. They are pretty much a drop in and their dimensions are similar to the 4.0L valves.

I doubt the HS rockers will add any power that you can feel. However, they will make a stronger valve train, more stable, adjustable (If you get them), will help the valves and cylinders cooler (helps with ping)
captkhaos
Noob
Noob

Post by captkhaos »

Thank you Silver XJ. I will ask them which valves they use. Maybe for a few $$$ they can swirl polish them? As far as the HS RR's go, I guess I'll bite the bullet and give 'em a try. That way I'll keep my 4.2 head intact... for what I don't know. Now for an intake and header.
Cheers,
Dan
captkhaos
Noob
Noob

Post by captkhaos »

Here's the email I sent to Clearwater Machine Shop about their eBay "upgrade" head on Mar. 13:

To: headsbycch
Subject: Details about item: captkhaos sent a message about JEEP AMC 4.0 258 CONVERSION UPGRADE CYLINDER HEAD #170522704400
Sent Date: Mar-13-11 17:55:39 PDT

Dear headsbycch,
Hello, I have afew questions before I buy. Does the upgrade head have all new stainless valves? Do you perform a 3 angle valve cut? Are all the keepers new? Are all the seals new? Are the springs new? If the springs are used are they checked for tension and uniformity? Is shipping included in the $525 price? I'm sorry if you already answered these in the text but I want to be sure. Thank You.

Here's the email I received today:

Dear captkhaos,

Yes the valves are stainless and all parts are new including the springs please allow 1 wk for the build and please give us cam specs and tell us what rockers you are going to use . The freight is a flat rate 25.00 dollars anywhere in the lower 48 states

Note: I sent them another email today asking about swirl polishing the valves, head porting and polishing and upgrading the springs. If anyone is interested I'll post the response.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

Sounds like a decent price. I know some remfg'd heads use old valves that are 3-angle ground, old springs, old retainers, old keepers, and new seals--I doubt they check the strength of the springs. The stock exhaust valves are SS, but the intake valves not.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Looks like good stuff. Not exactly cheap, but new parts and good work. Usually rebuilders won't replace valve unless they are out of spec, and the valve springs, retainers or locks unless they are visibly damaged. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that. But I've seen some valves that shouldn't have been reused.

gradon wrote:Sounds like a decent price. I know some remfg'd heads use old valves that are 3-angle ground, old springs, old retainers, old keepers, and new seals--I doubt they check the strength of the springs. The stock exhaust valves are SS, but the intake valves not.
Interesting. I did not know that. Could explain why my intake valves were damaged (and needed to be replaced) worse than the exhaust valves.
BDD
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: tj

Post by BDD »

A lot of times intake valves get carbon built up on them,which can damage the wear surface and guides.my $.02
captkhaos
Noob
Noob

Post by captkhaos »

I ordered the parts for the new head from summit racing today. As I already have a Crane Cam and lifters, I ordered the Crane springs they recommend. I also ordered the Harland Sharp S 40196 rollers. When the new parts come in I'll send them to Clearwater and they'll install them. By the way, they said they wanted $300 to port & polish the head. I think I'll pass on that.

Does anyone know what the S 40196 "A" rocker is? It's listed on the HS website but doesn't give an discription. Anyway, they cost $100 more.

Thanks for any input you can offer. Oh yeah, speaking of offer...does anyone know about the Offenhauser 6208 single plane intake? I plan to use it with an adapter for my Holley 2 bbl. I'd use the stock intake if it'll mount OK with the new header which I'm still researching as well.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

A=adjustable. $300 for a PnP isn't bad.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

X2--$300 is a good deal. I spent 20+ hours hand porting mine. You figure they spend a couple hours doing it and if they have a cnc mill, the thousands they spent on the tooling. . . I'd spend the money on that before I'd buy roller rockers cause the benefits are greater.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Plus you can add the roller rockers later if you want.