turbo 4.0 to turbo 4.6

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
turbojeeper
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

turbo 4.0 to turbo 4.6

Post by turbojeeper »

first i want to say hello to all. i have been a member of the site for about a year now. my name is Chris, i live in Whitehall (central) Ohio. Ive had jeeps since i was 16 (25 now). started out with a 90 Cherokee with the wonderful renix system. always loved turbo so i decided to turbo it about 4 years ago. the engine was a stock 4.0 out of a 98 wrangler with 60k on the ticker. was running it on 5 psi with only 24lb injector from a 360 v8 and a vortech fmu. all motor it put down a lousy 140hp and 230tq through the worn out aw4 with 220k. with 5 psi it put down 215 hp and 285 tq and went 15.4 at 86mph. not to bad i guess. so i drove it for about 3 years this way with no issues what so ever, did i mention i was running stock fuel pump and was able to keep air-fuels in the low 12's under boost.

To get on with it, the Cherokee rusted out and ended up going to bone-yard, engine to another jeep and so on. then tax money came. got me an 89
Comanche which started as a 4cyl 2wd and was swapped to a 6 cyl 5sp 4wd. put floorboards in it finished up a few things, so the process starts. first thing was a
centerforce dual friction clutch. for the turbo kit i took the factor header and cut the bottom two pipes off and turned them around, merged it into a 2.5 in collector right under the left motor mount. made the up pipe to come up just at the left front corner of the intake. the 38mm wastegate was welded at the bend
where the up goes up to the turbo. the turbo it a 60-1 t4. .96 hot side and .60 on the compressor. after that there is the 3 inch downpipe that crosses under the bellhousing, changes to 4 inch and heads out the right bedside just infront of the rear tire. took it to the track, went 14.90 at 92mph. tons better.

so then my buddy informs me that he is junking his j10 pick up with the 4.2 in it. it only had 60k on it. he gave me the engine for hauling it to the junk yard.
so it was time to stroke it. using a good 99 block my friend matt was taking performance engine machining at northwestern and did all the machine work for me for free as a class project. here is the work he did.

the block:

the head:

boosted Comanche on megasquirt, 8.90"s in the 1/8th. getting faster one step at a time!!
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: turbo 4.0 to turbo 4.6

Post by amcinstaller »

welcome! is the vortec fmu youre mentioning the chev one or an aftermarket unit? more details on the engine thus far please, all stock aside from turbo?
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
turbojeeper
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by turbojeeper »

as far as internals go, the block was bored 0.030 over for a set off kb icon forged pisons and 4340 rods from 505 performance, which are supposed to be here in two days. in the mean time here are a few pics of the truck, lots more to come

when i got her, see the old stripped cherokee in the back:

up pipe to the turbo:

where the turbo sits:

this was the first setup on the cherokee:

boosted Comanche on megasquirt, 8.90"s in the 1/8th. getting faster one step at a time!!
turbojeeper
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by turbojeeper »

amcinstaller wrote:welcome! is the vortec fmu youre mentioning the chev one or an aftermarket unit? more details on the engine thus far please, all stock aside from turbo?
i might even be mistaken by callin it that, its a round blue fuel pressure regulator basically. right now the engine thats in it is stock with 286k on it.
turbojeeper
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by turbojeeper »

here is how the truck sits now. spring over axle in the back plus a block which is coming out soon and 6.5 inch springs in the front with jk upper and lower control arms.

more on the turbo setup, this is where i modified the stock header and brought it forward into the collector. then from the collector to the wastegate and the up-pipe:

then the turbo and exhaust:

then there is the intercooler piping, the smaller 240sx radiator to make room for the volvo intercooler:

here is the interior with gauges:

amcinstaller
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

i was mistaken. i read it wrong, i didnt realize youre using the stock computer or somethin else. ive often wondered about using/modifying a chev v6 or I6 computer to use.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
turbojeeper
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by turbojeeper »

yup, its the stock computer, i do have a greddy e-manage ultimate piggybacking the computer. its half way hooked up, kind of in testing mode right now with it, so far the injectors are hooked up and running through it, all the settings are zeroed out , i got the coil working now, all i have left to do is tune it but i feel its pointless since the stroker motor will be done soon
turbojeeper
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by turbojeeper »

oh and another update, i got my pistons,, but they are 0.040 over and not 0.030, and after i called 505 i found out that they never had 0.030 over pistons in the first place, so instead of sending them back i am now going to get the block bored another 0.010 over.
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

ya you gotta watch out for 505 they're trying to sell stuff they don't have and sell stuff they claim to work that doesn't even come close. few people have bought their turbo kits only to find out there's no possible way to make it work then can't get a refund
turbojeeper
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by turbojeeper »

yea i am wondering about that, atleast i only ordered pistons from them.
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988

Post by shawnxj »

there's a couple posts on lonestar jeep club about the turbo ordeal, haven't checked on it in a month or 2 but last i heard they left him holding the bag on a design that not only didn't work but there was no way to make it work
turbojeeper
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by turbojeeper »

ill have to take a peak at that
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

I know my brother had to wait awhile for the roller lifters w/bars(key ingredients to make the cam work).
turbojeeper
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by turbojeeper »

well the pistons came right on time, they look good and are on a set of 4340 chromoly h-beam rods. so after i get the block bored further we will c how they fit.
i dealt with Miranda there at 505 and she was great to work with. when i received the .040 over pistons i also got 0.30 over rings, so she sent out a new set of 0.40 over rings no charge and even included a shipping label to return the 0.030 over rings. so as of right now i have no complaints of 505. but the project is not finished yet. haha!
proturbo
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Year: 1995

Post by proturbo »

turbojeeper wrote:yup, its the stock computer, i do have a greddy e-manage ultimate piggybacking the computer. its half way hooked up, kind of in testing mode right now with it, so far the injectors are hooked up and running through it, all the settings are zeroed out , i got the coil working now, all i have left to do is tune it but i feel its pointless since the stroker motor will be done soon
helooo
i am also going to use emanage
but its a blue version
would u please be kind to share the progress with ur car?