AW4 torque converter bolt pads

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
xj-diesel
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

AW4 torque converter bolt pads

Post by xj-diesel »

Hi first post here, and I am sorry it is not stroker related. I am trying to hook a AW4 to a benz diesel. But I need to find somone that can weld new bolt pads on a AW4 torque converter. no converter shops in my area want to mess with this, as they say they don't have the tools to re-balance the converter . So I am looking for a good AW4 torque converter shop or transmission shop that can open the converter and weld on the new pads in the MB pattern, then close the converter back up.
Any help would be appreciated
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Re: AW4 torque converter bolt pads

Post by lafrad »

why not remove the flexplate and drill new holes for the AW4 bolt pattern?
YJason
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by YJason »

Just what I was thinking! :cheers:
xj-diesel

Post by xj-diesel »

The reason not to drill the flywheel/flexplate , is the MB flexplate has a triangle bolt pattern, and the AW4 is a square., So the AW4 converter will interfere with the balance weights on the MB F wheel. The MB flex plate would have to be replaced, and then some sort of bushings would have to be installed to get the converter to sit flat against the MB flywheel. for me it will be simpler to have the AW4 converter modified
Does anyone know of a good AW4 trans or converter shop???

thanks
YJason
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by YJason »

Champ converter in Evansville, IN, where I live has done good work for me. I know of several people that have said they will do any kind of converter work you want done.

Champ Converters
1914 North Denby Avenue
Evansville, IN 47711
(812) 424-2602
xj-diesel

Post by xj-diesel »

thanks for that. I will try and rech them. I am out at work for another month. My hope was to get home, and be able to ups the TC and the MB flex plate to a shop and just get this finished. I have just about all the rest done, Well pilot bushing, and bell housing adapter. I am sure to find more to do when the engine and transmission are together. I thought some more about making a mechanical adapter ring to fit on the TC. I saw pics of one that failed, so I really just wanted to have the TC modified. Maybe the fellow with the mechanical adpter did not have it heavy enough. OK thanks again.