Stock rebuild, what cam.

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
xj bmx
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Stock rebuild, what cam.

Post by xj bmx »

So i purchased a spair motor to atempt a stroker, but decided against it as a first rebuild and to save the stroker for the engine thats in the jeep now.

Since it did not come with a camshaft, i need to buy one and figured why not get something to possibility add some power. Ive seen people arguing about adding "performance" cams saying things from, "they are the only real way to get real gains out of a mostly stock 4.0" to "the stock cam is the best made" along with stories of aftermarket cams snaping in half.

Now, this motor will be going into my 92 cherokee with an aw4 trans that is my toy (off road toy of course) so low end is where I would like the gain.

I have my eye on the xtreem 4x4 cam from comp that jp magazine put in one of there motors.

So new cam or stock?
JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: CHERKEE

Re: Stock rebuild, what cam.

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

Yeah alot of guys have gone with that cam, great choice alot of it depands on what you are looking for as far as hp and touque goes. I am still looking for a good cam my self i am thinking of going with the Clifford 264 hyd camshaft. but well see. 8-)