98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 - 88 YJ

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
sboone14
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: YJ

98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 - 88 YJ

Post by sboone14 »

This may have already been covered, and I apologize if it has. I have a 1989 YJ with a 4.2 that I want to replace with a stroker. I have found a 4.0 (complete with wiring and ecm) from a 1998 Grand Cherokee. I have seen several threads, blogs, and articles about swapping the 4.0 into an older vehicle, so I understand there are some minor things to be addressed. My question is: Are there any issues I need to be aware of with this particular engine in regards to the swap? Most of the swaps I have read about are from older 4.0 engines coming out of TJ's or Cherokees. I am not trying to build anything fancy. I figure since the original engine needs rebuilding, I might as well do some "upgrades," especially since this will be my daughter's daily driver. We are looking at dependability and ease of use.

Any information offered will be received humbly and with great appreciation.

Thank you.

Shannon
YJason
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: 98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 - 88 YJ

Post by YJason »

I swapped a 96 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0 and AW4 trans into my 93 YJ. The swap wasn't too bad, I removed the wiring harness and the pdc from the XJ and installed both to my YJ. I did buy both of the factory service manuals for both vehicles which made tracing the wires alot easier. From what I remember about the grands wiring harness is that some of the transmission wires run into the center console. You'll need to figure out what your going to do about the CPS, drill your exsisting trans, buy the Hesco CPS relocation, or if you have a AX15 you can get a newer bellhousing. You'll also need a feul pump, I'd find a tank out of a newer YJ that has a factory fuel pump already mounted and ready to go. If you go that route lookup the 15 to 20 gallon upgrade, it takes 5 min to do with the tank out.

Here is a link to a thread covering my swap:

http://www.itsajeep.org/vBulletin/showt ... light=swap
sboone14
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: YJ

Post by sboone14 »

I haven't bought service manuals yet, as I haven't purchased the motor yet, but thanks for the tip. It sounds like the swap is basically the same as the other 4.0 swaps. I just wanted to make sure their isn't anything specific to the Grand Cherokee that would make it more difficult than the Cherokee.
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

i was wondering that too recently after getting a running 98 grand block and trans and accessories for 300 bucks. thought for a little while i shot myself in the foot, but i have my motor mounts on and its ready to go in the car. should be fine for the cherokee too.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.