87 yj starter problems

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
TOOT
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: yj

87 yj starter problems

Post by TOOT »

are there any required shims for a starter on a 87 yj 4.2 with manual trans.? I am having a terrible time with my starter and flywheel. it seems like there is an alighnment issue but not sure exactly whats going on. I replaced the flywheel and put on three different starters and everytime I try to start the jeep it makes some really bad noises and even a banging noise at times
TOOT
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: yj

Re: 87 yj starter problems

Post by TOOT »

OK.....HOT DAMB!!!!. So the problem ended up being the starter. beleive it or not. I put on 3 new starters (actually remanufactored starters).I finally took the dust sheild off(wich involved seperating the trans from the engine enough to get it out) then I had a friend turn the key to bump the starter while I was looking at the starter and flywheel to see how it was lighning up. the starter would go into the teeth of the flywheel only at times. It would ride on the outer edge of the teeth at other times. Shimming did not do any good at all. I shimmed the top, the bottom and I even woddled out the bottom mounting hole on the starter to have the flexability to move the starter in closer to the flywheel or to take it farther away.None of that made any difference at all in the problem.I dont know if I had mentioned it before, but I pulled the trans 3 times thinking that it was a flywheel problem.I finally went in a new dirrection and bought a hight torque starter (mean green). It cost 250.00 on line. but it solved the problem.I was later told that when they rebuild the remanufactor starters that they only replace the bad electrical parts and not always the nose peice barring.(wich will move side to side while under load or pressure, wich will allow for the starter teeth to jump off the flywheel teeth).this was a long and fustratting proccess wich I had very little luck finding info on.I hope to God someone will find this post quickly if they experience the same problem.