First Stroker build, a long time coming

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
hot_rod_hooligans
I think I'll order a "tab"

First Stroker build, a long time coming

Post by hot_rod_hooligans »

Since parts are accumulating pretty fast now, I figured it was about time I start a build thread. If not for your amusement, for my need to keep track of part numbers and what I do and don't have yet. Since I also know a few guys that are planning on following in my foot steps to one degree or another, this is also for them.

I'm going to be using the 4.7L medium-buck stroker from jeep 4.0 performance as my template for the engine build

This is the shopping list so far:

99+ intake manifold - Done, ported and polished - In Progress
JBA Header
TUPY revised 0331 head - Done, ported and polished - In Progress
Mopar Performance 0.043" Head Gasket - P4529242 - Ordered
COMP Cams 68-232-4 Cam - Done
COMP Cams High Energy Timing Chain Set - 3219 - Ordered
Sealed Power hydraulic lifters - HT2011 - Done
Keith Black/KB Pistons .060 over - UEM-IC944KTM-060
Stock 4.0L connecting rods - Done
Stock AMC 258 crank - In Progress
00+ 4.0L block - Located, need to pick up
M.O.R.E. BombProof Block Brackets
hot_rod_hooligans

Re: First Stroker build, a long time coming

Valve Train and top end

The head came off an engine out of a 04 Rubicon with reportedly about 13K on it, specifically chosen for the TUPY casting revision. I'm in the process of porting and polishing it. Gasket matching it and just trying to straiten out the ports as much as possible, as well as help speed up the air flow. I'm not pushing for more air volume, but more velocity for better low and mid range torque.
I'm also cleaning up the combustion chambers a little, so I will be CC'ing them as well. Once I can start getting solid specs on everything, I may make a few small changes to the combustion chambers to get the compression ratio where I want it. I'm shooting for a little more than the 9.6:1 described in the templet at the top, more like 9.75-9.8:1. This is not going to be a DD, so I'm willing to build it a little meaner.

Intake is the newer style off of my old 01 XJ. I will be match porting it, and only cleaning up the last 2-3" of the runners since I can't get much deeper with the grinder I'm using. I also have a little bling in store for it, just because.

I'm still working out parts of the valve train. I initially was going to go with the K kit for the cam, but that was shot down after I talked to COMP and confirmed, the valve hardware would only work on the 258. so I'm looking at other options now. COMP recommended the Mopar Performance springs, but they are a bit salty for me. I'm not really sure what will be the best valve/spring combination will be for this cam, I'm keeping 1.91"/1.50" valve sizes, but beyond that I'm having a hard time. I work at O'Reilly Auto Parts, and can get parts from some companies pretty cheep, and have been considering just using Sealed Power valves and locks, since I can get them cheep and have them the same day. I already have a brand new set of lifters soaking in oil from when I thought I was going to replace them in the XJ, that didn't happen, and I couldn't return them since I had already put them in oil. If I didn't already have the lifters, I would have went with the COMP Cams SK68-231-4 Cam and Lifter Kit that COMP recommended in place of the full K kit. Can anyone point me in the direction of a valvetrain that will work well with this cam, without getting to salty?

I've had a couple people putting ideas in my head I wasn't wanting to think about before, specifically roller rockers. I've been looking around and found the Harland Sharp S40196 - 1.6:1 roller rockers that look to be fairly strait forward, and a price I can live with. Anyone have any experience with them?
hot_rod_hooligans

Bottom End

I've found a block from a 99 WJ that was swapped out do to a large build up of sludge, not a big deal since I have easy access to a hot tank. Once I can get the crank and pistons, I'll start working with my machinist to figure out deck height and such. I'm having Scott Gunderman's Performance in Greenwood do most of the machining. He's a big AMC nut, and has the jigs to do the I-6. I've had Scott as my professor for a few classes at school, so I may be able to talk him into letting me hang around and help with some of the work, don't know if it will make a difference in cost, but it will make me feel better about being involved with the process.

Crank hasn't been totally set in stone, but I would like to get on from a YJ, but think I may have to settle for one out of a CJ with the 2 1/2" snout. I'm holding off on buying one since my machinist has one sitting in his shop I may be able to buy from him cheep.

I'll be using the stock 4.0L connecting rods for the longer length, primarily for the reduced side loads on the pistons compared to the shorter 4.2 rods, and I've got 2 complete sets of 4.0L rods to pick from, that were free. I'm just not sure which set to go with, the set with 13K or the set with 170K, maybe have the set with 13K shot peened? I'll top it all off with the Keith Black Forged Pistons - IC944KTM for a .060" over bore.
Last edited by hot_rod_hooligans on January 31st, 2011, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hot_rod_hooligans

Head work

This is the head back when I was first disassembling it:
Based on how clean it was, I think 13K miles sounds about right, took no time at all to clean up.

Here is the stock intake runners with the gasket in place
and stock combustion chamber, intake, and exhaust bowls
After spending a little time roughing in the intake:
Thats all of the picks I seem to have of the porting so far, as soon as I can find my camera I'll try and take some pics of the updated progress
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

The porting job looks good but I suggest you work the valve guide boss a bit more to achieve a teardrop shape.
You'll definitely need the Mopar P5249464 valve springs, P4452032 retainers, and P4529218 locks. With the higher lift cam and higher spring pressures, I suggest you also invest in a set of roller rockers. You can get the bolt-on pedestal style Harland Sharp 1.6 rockers from Summit Racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSP-S40196/
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
hot_rod_hooligans

Yeah, I'm trying to get a little seat time with a smaller, more manageable die grinder to finish up the valve guide bosses. My electric Milwaukee grinder is good for doing majority of the work, but is too big to finesse, kinda like trying to do calligraphy with side walk chalk. :roll:

Good to know about the Harland Sharp rockers, I found them on Summit before, but I just wasn't sure if it was a quality product. Any one have part numbers for a good set of 1.91"/1.50" valves and locks to go with the Mopar springs and retainers? I'm not having much luck finding anyone with the Mopar locks in stock.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

The Mopar P4529218 locks go with the OEM valves that have a single groove on the valve stem, and you can buy them from Summit Racing. For the later 3-groove stem OEM valves, the OEM valve locks should work fine with the Mopar springs/retainers.
qualm
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by qualm »

Cheromaniac wrote:The Mopar P4529218 locks go with the OEM valves that have a single groove on the valve stem, and you can buy them from Summit Racing. For the later 3-groove stem OEM valves, the OEM valve locks should work fine with the Mopar springs/retainers.

This is not true and I am currently looking for a solution. With the later 3-groove stem OEM valves and the Mopar springs/retainers when you try to put the retainers with the OEM valve locks, the stem and the retainers sit flush. There is nowhere for the pushrod to sit. If anyone has a suggestion it would be appreciated.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

qualm wrote:This is not true and I am currently looking for a solution. With the later 3-groove stem OEM valves and the Mopar springs/retainers when you try to put the retainers with the OEM valve locks, the stem and the retainers sit flush. There is nowhere for the pushrod to sit. If anyone has a suggestion it would be appreciated.
Interesting. Didn't expect that.
hot_rod_hooligans

Anyone know if these would work with the Mopar Springs and retainers?
Crane Valve Locks (V8 set), Part # 99095-1
Manley 1.94" Stainless Intake Valve, Part # 10722
Manley 1.50" Stainless Exhaust Valve, Part # 10721

On a side note, I finally found a shop that had the 285 crank out of the YJ, and ordered it today: http://www.cleggengine.com/american-mot ... 87-90.html (had to wait till I got it ordered before I wanted to share it with you guys)
Should be picking up the block this week, if I can get rid of these transfer cases out of my truck. I plan on spending some time with my machinist next week to crunch numbers and figure out if I cam make the KB IC945-060 pistons work for me, and should be ordering them.
hot_rod_hooligans

Got the cam and timing set, crank, rods, pistons, head gasket, and block gathered together. Just need to finish getting the rest of the valvetrain together and start getting gaskets gathered.

And now for the picks:
since the shop I got the crank from screwed up and said they had YJ cranks in stock(unground cores), that were actually CJ cranks they sent me the spacer for free
Box-o-Slugs:

Now for the story on the free block I came across. One of the guys I work with builds engines on the side(mostly Mustangs) had a friend with a shop with the motor, story was it was swapped out of a WJ(99 IIRC) that spun a rod bearing, most likely due to a lack of oiling do to excessive sludge build up. It was about a year ago that he had first told me about it, and he had said it had been about a year or so since he had seen it, but it has set in this guys shop every since. as soon as I decided I was going to build a TJ to put this motor in I asked about that block. Said I could have it if I just get it out of his way. :banana:
After several months of failed attempts, I finally got ahold of the block last week. Crank, cam, oil pan, timing set/cover, harmonic balancer, and water pump were included. I plan on using the balancer and timing cover, and keep the oil pan as a spare, but thats about it
#1 rod journal
Timing cover, I'll need to locate another plastic tensioner thing, this one is broken, not that you can tell
I did end up scooping a lot of the sludge out by hand, ended up with about a hand full(sorry no pics)
I'm going to have to say that the build up of sludge was due to a lack of oil changes:
Again, I scooped about a hand full of sludge out of the passageway there(again, no pic)

Work on the engine it's self is going to have to wait till this fall more than likely. I'm taking a High Performance engines class that if I build the motor as a class project, I can get the machining and assembly work done for free, even though I was planing on doing the assembly myself, this way I'll have a little help to make sure I don't do anything wrong.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Looks like you've got your work cut out to clean that block but you're giving it a new lease of life and helping the environment. You can sell that old damaged 4.0 crank as scrap. Good luck with the build.
hot_rod_hooligans

Yeah, my machinist/instructor is really anal about working on a clean motor, we will probably hot tank it at school and send everything out to get baked and blasted before we start the machining work on it, having it baked and blasted will even clean out all the water passages and give me the chance to seal all of it up from the start.

As for the damaged crank, I threw it in the dumpster at work as soon as it came out, I already have a bunch of Jeep parts in my storage unit, and didn't want to hold on to it if even only for a short time. So far all of the stock 4.0L parts I have have been free, no need to try and pinch pennies now.
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

holy shit that is a dirty engine :shock:
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
rammit11
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by rammit11 »

what grade of motor(oil) grease was in that engine? I don't think my gear grease is that heavy.