95 Grand Cherokee Project

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
ShelGame

95 Grand Cherokee Project

Post by ShelGame »

Just last weekend I bought a 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4x4, Command Trac (that's gotta be rare). Black exterior, tan interior. I eventually want to build a stroker for it. But, I'm just starting to collect parts. Not my first engine build by far, but this is my first Jeep build (2nd Jeep, my wife had a '97 Cherokee many years ago). 192k on the clock, but it runs and drives decent. $1200 for it and I think I got a decent deal.

For now, I'm going to fix all the little issues this thing has.

Here's the to-do list:

1) Rear hatch - rusted out and won't latch, wiper is broken. Plan is to replace it with a decent color matching hatch.
2) Drivers door - replace worn hinge pins/bushings (found this great site for doing this very proceedure, sorry if it's a re-post). http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives/me ... e_pin.html
3) Exhaust leak - the stock manifold has a 1-1/2" long crack down near the flange. This is making the O2 sensor read lean and causing the engine to run VERY rich. Going to patch the crack until I can collect the header and other parts to build a performance exhaust.
4) Door locks - found out the hard way that the key I got with the truck only works the ignition (and apparently now the glove box). So, I need to re-key the door and hatch.
5) Drivers seat - the LH bolster is worn down to the seat frame. Seat cover is good, but it's got a bad lean.
6) Crank Pos Sensor(?) - Every once in a while, it will have a big miss while cruising down the freeway. Going out now to plug the DRBII in and see if it has any codes (though, the CE light isn't on), check the fuel trims, etc.

Basically, this is my daily driver. But, I'll also use it to tow my race car ('89 Dodge Daytona Turbo) and probably go camping with the kids. But really, it's another toy. Pics soon.
Jrgunn5150
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Re: 95 Grand Cherokee Project

Post by Jrgunn5150 »

Nice, I also have a 95 Grand with a cracked collector lol. Its my DD until late fall probably, then I plan to get to work on a new trans,tcase, and stroker.

Keep us updated!
Sharp Rock
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Re: 95 Grand Cherokee Project

Post by Sharp Rock »

Greetings,

On that bad miss going down the freeway, just for giggles, check your spark plugs. I had the samething happen once when pulling the tent trailer on a 700 mile trip. The electrodes on cyl. 3 and 4 were almost gone. The other plugs were in a little better shape. I found a napa that only had 3 Champion plugs (my preference). Replaced 2,3, and 4. Ran like a champ till I got home and replaced the rest.

BTW, it's nice to see a few Grands on here. Mines is a 95 too.

Good luck with it.

Jerry