Girls like Strokin too :P

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Girls like Strokin too :P

Post by Tinga »

Hello all. I've been a lurker for a few months now and I come over from JeepForum.
Recently, well 4 months ago, my '02 TJ dropped a skirt. Mechanic of ours tore into it an the #1 cylinder was .60 at it's largest and the rest were pushing .40 :( Machinist said unless we sleeve it, it's better to just sell it for scrap. We got a replacement block outta a '98 ,I think , that our machinist is cursing at right now. Apparently he's 2 bits in on it already because it's a high nickel block. Good news though, we get no extra charge for bits AND he's cutting some $$$ for the delay.

We've bought some parts already from a build that were bought, but never ran. Guy backed out due to financials. I'm not ENTIRELY sure of the particulars yet..on what part #'s they are, all I know is that the pistons are Hypercantspellits, ARP bolts, Comp Cam, 258 Crank, Rods--- I dunno.

Waiting on a parts list and what the machine shop is doing to the block so I can calculate if I need to run super. Mechanic says yes, I can run on pump fuel.. but I like to do research anyways.

I do have a question though.. he says I can get by without #24 injectors or an adjustable MAP? Its got the EFI system so I haven't got a damn clue about it or not. Will it be alright for putting around town?
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997

Re: Girls like Strokin too :P

Post by PolloLoco »

From what I've learned 27 lbs seems to be the standard. I went with 36 lbs for my E85 build and as guessed by other forum members I'm over.

On the the subject of girls liking strokin' too, my wife designed my custom decal. I still have more for sale, a pair of white "4.7L Stroker" decals for $7 shipped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Tinga wrote:Hello all. I've been a lurker for a few months now and I come over from JeepForum.
Recently, well 4 months ago, my '02 TJ dropped a skirt.
Damn, for a minute there I thought it was you who'd dropped a skirt. ;)
Tinga wrote:We've bought some parts already from a build that were bought, but never ran. Guy backed out due to financials. I'm not ENTIRELY sure of the particulars yet..on what part #'s they are, all I know is that the pistons are Hypercantspellits, ARP bolts, Comp Cam, 258 Crank, Rods--- I dunno.
Hypereutectics. There. That's better. ;) The rods must be 258's 'cause you wouldn't be using hypereutectic pistons otherwise. Which CompCam is it?
Tinga wrote:I do have a question though.. he says I can get by without #24 injectors or an adjustable MAP? Its got the EFI system so I haven't got a damn clue about it or not. Will it be alright for putting around town?
Since you have a 2002 Jeep model, a MAP adjuster won't help. It's quite likely you'll need the 27lb stroker injectors from http://www.fiveomotorsports.com and you'll probably need a Unichip as well to dial in the fuel and timing curves.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

Cheromaniac wrote:Damn, for a minute there I thought it was you who'd dropped a skirt. ;)

Hypereutectics. There. That's better. ;) The rods must be 258's 'cause you wouldn't be using hypereutectic pistons otherwise. Which CompCam is it?
damn, beat me to it, and i like her way, lastly, yea, theyll be short rods.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tinga »

I got a parts list, but since its been a year since they were ordered, I'm thinking that the parts #'s have switched or that he gave me the wrong papers.

Comp Cam is the 68-232-4. He's getting me the casting number off the new block. He was telling us that the machinist said the only other block he's had come in that was THIS hard on bits was a Chevy motor from a Vette. :huh:

I'd love to say I'M the one that dropped a skirt, but I wouldn't be caught dead in one. :)
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tinga »

Holy Big bucks BATMAN. Unichips are speeendy! Can you use them more than once? Not like on a different vehicle, but say I add improvements to the rig?

NM:Easily upgradeable for future add-on's.

There are other chips out there available correct, just not as "user friendly"?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

You will most likely find that the 27lb injectors from 50 performance will be to large.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Tinga wrote: There are other chips out there available correct, just not as "user friendly"?
Yes, SMT8, FTC1, PSC1, AEM and many others. You will also need a dyno session or a wideband O2 meter to tune it correctly. Either way its not cheap.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tinga »

Update: Turns out the first machine shop was blowing smoke at us. After a 2 weeks our mechanic went by and saw the block sitting outside the wash room where he'd dropped it off at, UNTOUCHED.

So after some choice words he pulled our block and head and dropped it off at ANOTHER machine shop. 4 days later, we have all our machine work done and paid for. This machine guy said he wasn't going to be able to use our crank because it was bad somehow and got us another one. So now we're waiting on a downtime in work so that he can finish putting it together and get her in.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tinga »

BIG update: After getting dicked around by our mechanic, club member "friend" we finally got our old block back.
You know the one that #1 cylinder was going to have to be sleeved?

Wellll.. We took it to an independent shop and they said "Nothing was wrong with your block. All you needed was a new cylinder head, new rings and a few bolts"

:evil: :evil: :evil:

So he effed us on the block, ended up using an OLDER block, making US pay for the gaskets..twice AND
he's sitting on our stroker motor with "parts" missing or things going wrong or just "don't have time"
All in all.... he's a damn liar.

BS. We're pulling our engine come Monday if it's not done by Sunday night (AND my husband has offered help to get it done, it's dressed and ready to drop in and do the break-in WE bought all oil, filters and fluid for 2 oil changes) and letting our club know ( his mother is a treasurer)
Anyways.. he's been holding over our head that we NEED to have it reprogrammed and he has the doo-dad to do it.
Do we..? Need to have the computer reprogrammed?? I don't trust him, we're out over 2k on this deal and all our tin is on the new motor.

I need a beer.....or 4
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

If you haven't already bought injectors, the Accel 24lb'ers (Summit Racing) would be a better choice than the 27lb'ers I mentioned earlier, but you'll need to buy a set of EV1 to EV6 adapter plugs (also Summit Racing) to make the injector harness fit. You might then be able to avoid needing a computer reprogram (at least initially anyway).
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
BDD
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: tj

Post by BDD »

Am I missing something here?how do you reprogram a computer on a 02 tj? Cant be done,as far as ive seen.you can add a piggy back,but I dont think anyone can reprogram a mopar computer.
Please someone correct me if im wrong.
Good luck with your build,and sorry that your machinest sckrewed ya,what an ass.
you know what they say, ya gotta screw your freinds and family, cuz your enemies won't let ya close enough.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Don't know about the TJ PCM, but I had my XJ PCM reprogrammed.

I hadn't read what the reprogramming comment was in reference to. No, you don't "need" to get your PCM reprogrammed.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tinga »

Update 2

Finally got our 4.7 block back. Had enough finally and picked it up last night.
Last we had heard it was "all dressed up and ready to drop in"

BS :doh:

What we got back was less than a long block. Oil pan and pump still needs to go on, roller rockers aren't on (Harland Sharp)( they are post mount so I dunno If I'm going to keep them and exchange them for the pedestal mount ones)

Did a little looksey inside the engine bay and I notice SOMETHING might have been cut. Left side of the engine and I'm thinking it might be a sensor or something. UGH

What a pain in the ass this is.....oh yeah. Because we caused so much "trouble" about getting our engine back and called around to different builders/mechanics and word got back to HIM, we're not allowed back into our club until we apologize to his mother??!! Apparently my husband said some "nasty" things to her and we got a boot.

We just need this damn engine in and running. No doubt I'll be a bit more active about questions since I have no effin clue what I'm doing
amcinstaller
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

psshhhhh EFFF her!! tell her to get her lazyass son in gear!! :cheers:
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.