Girls like Strokin too :P

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: Girls like Strokin too :P

Post by Tinga »

After we had some questions we took the motor in to a reputable shop,just so he could give an eyeball on it.
WELL..... He looked into it for us and said that:
1. The main bearings,at least the thrust bearing was in the wrong position. Pretty much said if you eff that up,chances are you didn't know what the hell you were doing and made mistakes elsewhere...

YUP. We found a few so far.

2. The rod bolts were barely tightened. He checked and some were a little tight,others, were just fingertight :o

Sooo. He's tearing it down for free for us, re-installing everything the right way as well as tapping the stud bosses. :|
That's just the bottom end that he tore into. I'm gonna guess there's more wrong once he gets into it a bit more. we talked a bit and he pretty much said that we wouldn't have made it through 3 minutes of the cam break in before we tore EVERYTHING apart. :shock:
He's never going to take any work from this guy ever again and says most likely this was done intentionally because he couldn't say that anybody whose built just 1 motor before would make these types of mistakes.
We are still trying to get the CAI and Headers from the " friend". (not returning calls)
I'll most likely sell the CAI and headers anyways. It's a HEdmann and I don't wanna mess with the CATS and down pipe issue from and aftermarket header AND... I read the 1 piece tends to crack over the stock 2 piece???

Anyways... Looking at $500 for labor and any extra machine work needed plus parts that were included,but were the wrong type ( pushrods were wrong length, he wants a dual roller timing chain and guide plates as extra insurance)
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

The thrust bearing is on the #3 main, not the rear, it aint a Chevy!, I don't know what crank you have?, but on my 12 counterweight the only way to get the thrust main on any other main journal would be to POUND it in with a BMF! sledge hammer!? it physically to big to fit!

That guy sounds like a real dillrod!?, I've worked with guys like that and they get praised for getting it done in short time, but they had major come backs and they could never figure out why!?, I never had an engine come back but always got bitched out for taking to long!?? that's part of the reason that machine shop is out of business now.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

If they are stud mount you need the guide plates. If they are pedestal mount you don't. There is a pin that goes between the two rockers to lock them on the pedestal mount style.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tinga »

SilverXJ wrote:If they are stud mount you need the guide plates. If they are pedestal mount you don't. There is a pin that goes between the two rockers to lock them on the pedestal mount style.

They are stud mount. HS S4096 .

Husband said that the thrust bearing was in the front. I'm guessing that it's that way for Chevy motors?
jbxx
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: $.6 mistake?
Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Post by jbxx »

Yikes, consider yourself blessed that he didn't complete the engine.
Sounds to me like it wouldn't have made it through the first 5 min.
J.B.
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

Tinga wrote:Husband said that the thrust bearing was in the front. I'm guessing that it's that way for Chevy motors?
Chivys are at the rear, always seems that everyone thinks the the trust is always at the rear?, it easy to tell the thrust position, the main web is machined on both sides, all of the other webs will rough cast.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tinga »

Bough all new main bearings and one rod bearing that was toast :roll:
Waiting for the shop to get me a size on the pushrods so we can get those ordered.
Guide plates came in from Summit today.
FINALLY found out what wire was cut/disconnected under the hood today.
The CPS had pretty much melted through the wiring and when dipshit pulled the engine, it just ripped the wires out from the plug on the bell housing. What a dumbass.

Still waiting on rims, CAI and headers. Still deciding if we wanna tackle dropping the motor in ourself with : no tools, cherry picker and never having done a CAM break in or.... Spend the $$ to have a shop do it
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tinga »

Holy Expensive crap batman... some pushrods are really expensive.
Machine shop got everything buttoned up and said we needed 9.780- 9.800 pushrods :(
Looked around and 1 manufacturer has them that long, COMP. BUT, their chromoly and are just a tad over $100 :shock:

Why so long of pushrods? Too mush taken off the deck or.??
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

The roller rockers typically require longer pushrods.

Too much taken off the deck would require shorter pushrods

Check out Smith Brothers Pushrods. Excellent product and service.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tinga »

Thanks Silver. Husband already ordered the Comp ones though ( bout 10 minutes after I posted)
Least it's getting done right. I only had a minute or so to oogle the Dual Roller that came in from JP performance :cry: ( Big ol shout out to Falcon Global!!)
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

Some cams have smaller base circles too.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tinga »

Motor's DONE and all buttoned up. Hit a snag with the mechanics doing the install. They are more than doubling our "estimate" because of the various nuances that this motor needs.
More specifically, the serpentine belt routing, waterpump/fan issues as well as the power steering pump.

Anybody have a picture of their set-up? The block is from an '89 XJ and going into a 02 TJ ( no AC)
We're picking up the oil filter adapter thingy and we're not exactly sure what we need to grab for the belts/pulleys
What about the fan? TJ's had a clutch fan and the water pump isn't set up for that? Electric fan??
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

Why weren't the old accessory's off of the TJ put on to the new motor to make it the same as it was previously?
I don't believe the TJ's use any oil filter adapter, just the nipple and bypass assembly with the short filter.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tinga »

IH 392 wrote:Why weren't the old accessory's off of the TJ put on to the new motor to make it the same as it was previously?
I don't believe the TJ's use any oil filter adapter, just the nipple and bypass assembly with the short filter.

The donor blocks from an XJ and it's going into the TJ. We were TOLD the original TJ block was bad, thus we went with a different block.
I'm guessing it's going to be all pulleys in front, already got a new water pump and it's pulley. The "friend" that got the block also FORGOT that 4.0 blocks changed accessory positions and bolt patterns.

I'm guessing we need the power steering bracket, the fans ( don't XJ's have an electric AND mechanical fan?) oil filter thingy ( ours didn't come with ANY of this stuff). Already bought the motor cradle arms ( apparently they switched bolts and patterns in there somewhere)Brown Dog already said if we get the new cradle, that the MM we bought for the TJ WILL fit the XJ arms

I'm really NOT digging the idea of an electric fan though.. Does anybody have a picture of their pulleys/belt routing.??
jbxx
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: $.6 mistake?
Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Post by jbxx »

You can look at the pics in my build thread. The pulleys that have the grooves go on the inside of the belt
the pulleys that are smooth go on the outside ( mines an 88).
I drew the route with a silver sharpie on the underside of my hood for trail repair ease, but I'm nowhere near the vehicle, I just have the engine here.
Found something in my notes:
J.B.