The Best Engine - 4.2 to 4.0 Swap

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
AUGUST
Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ

The Best Engine - 4.2 to 4.0 Swap

Post by AUGUST »

I am moving forward with a replacement engine for my 86 CJ. Because I will be building a stroker to replace my 4.2 I would like to use the best engine possible. I believe I am hearing the 1994 Wrangler 4.0 HO is the one to go with. As I look I am running across quite a few cherokee's and was wanting to know what year/years would be comparable? I am looking to pick the folowing items:

The head, intake (w/ throttle body and injectors/fuel rail) and exhaust manifolds, computer (PCM), complete engine bay wiring harness in one piece (cut off the trunks that lead throught the fire wall), fuse box (PDC) & its' mounting bracket, throttle cable, MAF sensor, distributor and ignition coil, waterneck, all the sensors (O2, water, Etc).

Thanks for the help!
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: The Best Engine - 4.2 to 4.0 Swap

Post by IH 392 »

If I were going to do a complete conversion I'd look for an "OBD II" '97 and later, they seem to be the most user friendly, and yes get it ALL.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
YJason
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: The Best Engine - 4.2 to 4.0 Swap

Post by YJason »

Have you read through the FAQ section? it tells what the pro's and con's of each yr of heads, blocks, cranks, etc.. As far as the wiring goes 95 and older OBD1 will be slighlty easier with a couple less wires to hookup than a 96+ OBD2. As far as the rest of the bolt ons, IMO any year 4.0 will be good. You can get a 99+ intake which is suppose to be better. Just watch using a XJ, the cooling fan is setup to run offset to the passenger side to make room for the electric fan. You'll have to do a little research on what it takes to put the fan back on center if you plan to use a mech fan. Probably just a new water pump (wrangler style) and maybe a idler pulley.

Here is what I went thru, when I swapped from a 4cyl to a 96' XJ 4.o and AW4 automatic.
http://bluegrass4x4.org/forum/viewtopic ... hilit=swap

and here is a long thread with a lot of BS from my friends of my stroker build:
http://bluegrass4x4.org/forum/viewtopic ... r&start=10