ok, tell me this is a dumb idea, or show me how to make it

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: ok, tell me this is a dumb idea, or show me how to make it

Post by amcinstaller »

yea, i thought you meant timing gears too 4.whoa ;) anyway, youre right though. it is cheap insurance, i think head bolts too. i always get told they can be reused, but i just think why? wouldnt it be easier to just grab new ones rather than possibly redo a head gasket?
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
kowboydmac
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: GC ZJ

Post by kowboydmac »

4.whoa wrote:I'm not sure how much you know about vehicles, but parts that constantly "rub" each other develop wear patterns. Most commonly known among "car guys" are axle ring & pinion gears for this ,but cams & dist gears also do it.
Now not everyone agrees about it, however it CAN cause a problem. Not every gear/time of course , but some used stuff is worn more than others. I'm just saying so you are aware 'cause it would suck to put that $ into a used cam and have it shread itself and I hate when that crap happens. :cheers:
Also with a new cam a new dist SHOULD be used. ( Yeah, yeah, some have gotten away without it , but for what- $10 why chance it?)

Haha, I know a good bit but Im no pro by any means. I get what the concept your saying though, not denying ya, but also like you mentioned, most people "get away" with it I guess, haven't heard anyone else bring that up.

Are you saying an entire distributor or just that little gear that I'm not familiar with? lol
kowboydmac
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by kowboydmac »

amcinstaller wrote:yea, i thought you meant timing gears too 4.whoa ;) anyway, youre right though. it is cheap insurance, i think head bolts too. i always get told they can be reused, but i just think why? wouldnt it be easier to just grab new ones rather than possibly redo a head gasket?
Well that I wouldn't argue lol I think they are only like 35 bucks or so?
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Post by 4.whoa »

kowboydmac wrote:Are you saying an entire distributor or just that little gear that I'm not familiar with? lol
No, just the gear.If you happen to need a dist anyway,they come with a new gear.
amcinstaller wrote:yea, i thought you meant timing gears too 4.whoa ;) anyway, youre right though. it is cheap insurance, i think head bolts too. i always get told they can be reused, but i just think why? wouldnt it be easier to just grab new ones rather than possibly redo a head gasket?
X2 I've heard you can reuse headbolts twice,but on any type of perf engine... why? I'm using head STUDS on mine, got them from hesco, but i'm 99% sure they are ARP's. They can be a PITA if you need to pull the head in the vehicle, but otherwise I like them alot.
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

kowboydmac wrote: Silver, man, I read your thread and to be honest, I kind of want to avoid the Isky cam.
The Isky cam wasn't at fault. Isky's problem is poor support and slow turn around, but I did like the way the cam ran.
I mention high rev'ving cause usually high RPM's means more heat.
Sustained high RPM = more heat. Not that you will be turning high RPMS with the stroker anyhow.
A re machined crank and rods for 320 is still a better deal than 400 for just a crank.
Looking and measuring some of the remachined quality I have seen, I wouldn't hesitate to get the $400 crank from a very reputable company.
kowboydmac
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by kowboydmac »

SilverXJ wrote:
kowboydmac wrote: Silver, man, I read your thread and to be honest, I kind of want to avoid the Isky cam.
The Isky cam wasn't at fault. Isky's problem is poor support and slow turn around, but I did like the way the cam ran.
I mention high rev'ving cause usually high RPM's means more heat.
Sustained high RPM = more heat. Not that you will be turning high RPMS with the stroker anyhow.
A re machined crank and rods for 320 is still a better deal than 400 for just a crank.
Looking and measuring some of the remachined quality I have seen, I wouldn't hesitate to get the $400 crank from a very reputable company.
Well since I'm new and getting deeper into this, that customer support would GREATLY help me out, lol. I've heard of Isky before, I think back when I was into my inline 6 in the Nova.

I've talked to a few different people, and since my build is relatively mild, the hyper's should be fine from what they've recommended. I want to put major homework into making sure my cooling system is top notch, intercooler and all.

I haven't bought the crank/rods yet. 400 for a new crank is kind of tempting. Any insight on what rods to go with?

Hey, also, how's the stroker comin along? I'm really pullin for ya, I know you've put in a ton of hours. Super strange you're the only one enduring all those bearing problems.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

kowboydmac wrote: Well since I'm new and getting deeper into this, that customer support would GREATLY help me out, lol. I've heard of Isky before, I think back when I was into my inline 6 in the Nova.
My point really wasn't to use Isky, but that there are other companies that can grind you a custom cam or have an off the shelf cam for less than the price you were quoted for a reground stock cam. Bullet cams, Clay Smith cams (used by Hesco), Lunati, Crower, Erson, Comp, etc.
I haven't bought the crank/rods yet. 400 for a new crank is kind of tempting. Any insight on what rods to go with?
Depends on what you want/need and how much you want to spend. 505 Performance does have an upgrade to the stock rods, but are less than the eagle rods. But, IIRC, they use 4.0L pistons. You could always find a used set of 4.2L rods and have them reconditioned with ARP rod bolts.
Hey, also, how's the stroker comin along? I'm really pullin for ya, I know you've put in a ton of hours. Super strange you're the only one enduring all those bearing problems.
I sent the oil pump to Hesco to be tested and am still waiting for King to get back to me on the main bearing issue.
kowboydmac
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by kowboydmac »

SilverXJ wrote:
kowboydmac wrote: Well since I'm new and getting deeper into this, that customer support would GREATLY help me out, lol. I've heard of Isky before, I think back when I was into my inline 6 in the Nova.
My point really wasn't to use Isky, but that there are other companies that can grind you a custom cam or have an off the shelf cam for less than the price you were quoted for a reground stock cam. Bullet cams, Clay Smith cams (used by Hesco), Lunati, Crower, Erson, Comp, etc.

** Comp suggested for me to use a regrind, since they dont have an application that would work for mine**
Depends on what you want/need and how much you want to spend. 505 Performance does have an upgrade to the stock rods, but are less than the eagle rods. But, IIRC, they use 4.0L pistons. You could always find a used set of 4.2L rods and have them reconditioned with ARP rod bolts.
I sent the oil pump to Hesco to be tested and am still waiting for King to get back to me on the main bearing issue.

Ah, ok I gotcha. Looks like I have some emailin' to do.

I like the idea of the shotpeened/recon. 4.2 Rods with new bolts best.
Last edited by kowboydmac on December 28th, 2010, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kowboydmac
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by kowboydmac »

Also, I want to keep this as cheap, but reliable, as possible. Not really going for a performance build, or trying to see "what I can get out of it". I know my funds wont allow that and I'm not interested in that for my ZJ. Just want a strong straight six. Honestly, swapping in a 360 is about the same hp/tq i'm looking for, I just don't want to deal with a v8. Not dissing the magnums, but i love the inline design.
92tank
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by 92tank »

and with the I6 you have two less holes that need to be fed :lol: :rockout:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I wonder how the 42RE will enjoy the extra power...
kowboydmac
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by kowboydmac »

SilverXJ wrote:I wonder how the 42RE will enjoy the extra power...
I'm TERRIFIED of that answer lol I'm gonna get an upgrade TQ converter for sure, maybe just get a shift kit for 42? I'd go with an AW4 but that may be too much swappage for me.

Hey! can't a 44 swap right in?
Last edited by kowboydmac on December 28th, 2010, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kowboydmac
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by kowboydmac »

92tank wrote:and with the I6 you have two less holes that need to be fed :lol: :rockout:
Hahaha, right on.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

kowboydmac wrote: I'd go with an AW4 but that may be too much swappage for me.

When I was looking for a replacement transmission for my ZJ I looked into swapping in a AW4. There was a pretty detailed thread some place on it. IIRC it wasn't too hard to do. However, I went with another 42RE because I was under a time constraint. Its still a pos.
kowboydmac
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by kowboydmac »

SilverXJ wrote:
kowboydmac wrote: I'd go with an AW4 but that may be too much swappage for me.

When I was looking for a replacement transmission for my ZJ I looked into swapping in a AW4. There was a pretty detailed thread some place on it. IIRC it wasn't too hard to do. However, I went with another 42RE because I was under a time constraint. Its still a pos.
Yeah I saw a really good thread on it elsewhere as well. Seems feasible, but the writeup had me a little confused. I would think using an aw4 out of the same year xj into the same year zj would be the best scenario, I just dont know if 98 XJ's had aw4's? The wiring is a little hectic, but I think if you stay patient for a good hour or two, it can be wired up just fine. Another question I had was that I'm gonna swap a 44A into my ZJ so IDK how an aw4 would interact with that.

From what I was looking around at, it seems cheaper to swap in an aw4 than to rebuild the 42re, but like you said Silver, it's a timing thing.