2000 block for distributerless.

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
stxj
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj 2dr

2000 block for distributerless.

Post by stxj »

Can a newer, non distributer block be used with 1997 engine management, or do you need to swap harnesses, And would a "split second ftc" make the ignition work? Also if you could go distributerless would it be of any advantage?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 2000 block for distributerless.

Post by SilverXJ »

stxj wrote:Can a newer, non distributer block be used with 1997 engine management
yes, just use the 97 PCM harness and sensors.
And would a "split second ftc" make the ignition work?
FTC is a piggy back, not an aftermarket ignition system
Also if you could go distributerless would it be of any advantage?
If using the jeep system, none.

The 2000 will come with the crack prone 0331 head, unless its been swapped for a "TUPY" head
stxj

Post by stxj »

Thanks for the fast reply. I did allready read about the crack prone head. also about the location dowels so the head has to be used with the block now that i recall. I got a good price on my split second ftc. Wont use it until I get buy a 14point7 a/f gauge. then I'll learn to tune on a stock engine with intake and exhaust upgrades before a stroker is built. So why does every car manufacturer not use distributers these days if there not of any disadvantage?
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Post by 4.whoa »

Less maint. No cap or rotor to replace or - more important- wear out. I've heard Some say they have more spark energy, but I don't know if its true. Of course almost all aftermarket stuff does that & is more adjustable.
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Im not sure what you are saying about the dowels in the block.

I didn't say every distributor less system has no benefit Just this one in particular. Its ok for a stock engine i guess, but you can't upgrade it, you can't remove an individual coil or plug to diagnose, and the coil rail is a pain to get in and out.
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

i agree on your plan to get the computers tuning nailed down before your stroker goes in. i plan to do the same so that im not screwing around with a new computer while trying to do a proper cam break in.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
I6FAN
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by I6FAN »

amcinstaller wrote:
i agree on your plan to get the computers tuning nailed down before your stroker goes in. i plan to do the same so that im not screwing around with a new computer while trying to do a proper cam break in.[/quote
]
x2. It's probably the reason for half the cam failures in these engines.

SilverXJ's reply to stxj:
Im not sure what you are saying about the dowels in the block.
My understanding is the 96+ blocks have locating dowels, and all 96+ blocks and heads are compatible with the exception of intake and exhaust port locations between 96+ and 2000+. Is this correct?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I6FAN wrote: My understanding is the 96+ blocks have locating dowels, and all 96+ blocks and heads are compatible with the exception of intake and exhaust port locations between 96+ and 2000+. Is this correct?
Correct. His question seemed like he thought he had to keep the 2000 head with the 2000 block, which is not true.
5-90

Post by 5-90 »

4.whoa wrote:Less maint. No cap or rotor to replace or - more important- wear out. I've heard Some say they have more spark energy, but I don't know if its true. Of course almost all aftermarket stuff does that & is more adjustable.
Multiple-coil ignition systems do tend to have more spark energy, since the coil is allowed to "saturate" longer between firing. It's not a strictly linear progression (just because you have three coils on the AMC242 COP/DIS setup doesn't mean you'll have three times the spark energy per firing,) but it will be measurably more.

I've been wanting to look into adapting the GM V6 COP/DIS system to the AMC six, simply because it's more programmable and uses readily-available components. You can "jack up" the GM system and reprogramme most of it, while it's damned near impossible to do with the ChryCo.

This would be an option for people who don't want to play with the MegaSquirt setup by Bruce Bowling & Al Grippo...
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

5-90 wrote: I've been wanting to look into adapting the GM V6 COP/DIS system to the AMC six, simply because it's more programmable and uses readily-available components. You can "jack up" the GM system and reprogramme most of it, while it's damned near impossible to do with the ChryCo.
Actually, that is something have been thinking of doing. I was thinking of using one of the coil blocks from a ford V6 or something similar... maybe individual coils. I just hate the coil rail and there are upgrades for others. It would still have to be a waste spark system as the plug only has 4 wires (positive and 3 ground for each coil trigger). My only concern is what would the PCM think of the different coils? I know it monitors them in some way.

Maybe 3 of these: http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Coi ... Style.aspx

or: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-2000- ... ccessories
stxj

Post by stxj »

SilverXJ wrote:
I6FAN wrote: My understanding is the 96+ blocks have locating dowels, and all 96+ blocks and heads are compatible with the exception of intake and exhaust port locations between 96+ and 2000+. Is this correct?
Correct. His question seemed like he thought he had to keep the 2000 head with the 2000 block, which is not true.
Exactly what i wanted to know. reason being, the engine I "upulled" my intake from was a 2001. I thought a cost cutter for my stroker could be to use the low mileage engine so i might not need to have any machine work done. just put in the 258 crank and do some head work. My questions were if c.o.p. would work with my 1997 pcm and if the non crack prone heads could be used. thanks for the info
amcinstaller
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

youll probly need to match the coil/coils to the PCM. silverxj mentioned that the coil on plug option had a plug with 4 wires, so the pcm triggers each coil directly rather than a single coil through a distributor. you should be able to use either head, but youll need to fab a bracket for the coil pack to mount to if you want to use an older head with coil on plug.

also, 5-90, id like to know your opinions on the megasquirt good or bad. ive heard alot of good things about it, and your response reads almost "not a fan of it". just curious, not callin anyone out.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.