life long project

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
comanchemty
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

life long project

Post by comanchemty »

I bought this 87 comanche in 89 . It was a base model. NO options except a 4 liter motor . After 13 years of saving/ spending then saving / and spending some more, I'm almost finished with it. These pictures were taken a week ago , but the paint was put on 10 years ago. It is still perfect , except for a few rock chips. Over the last year I've been working on the motor . It is a stroker and built very very well. All options were added. This is the second stroker I've had and highly recommend them. The throttle response is instant. With the dual friction centerforce clutch. It goes. NO hesitation at all. I've built this one for high end performance . Turbo, intercooler, big cam, roller rockers , solid lifters, gapless rings , 2" high flow valves, nodular crank, head ported, all powder coated, etc.
Other than the ladder bars , this is a capable off road vehicle . But as long as I own it it will never be used as such. This was my first truck and I have too many sentimental memories . So I will just drive it and show it .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
strokedzj
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Re: life long project

Post by strokedzj »

that thing looks fast! you know a new set of A/T's or M/T's would look right at home on that pickup.
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Post by 4.whoa »

What's that under the bed on the right,the turbo? The pic's a little fuzzy. How much boost are you running?
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
comanchemty
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by comanchemty »

Yes that is the turbo under the bed . You can't get very good depth perception from that photo. But it is right up near the cab. I have set it for 12 lbs of boost. It starts coming on at 2900 rpm and holds out till about 6900. Although I've never seen full rpms. Yet! At 65 mph in 3rd gear it can boil both rear. It's very scary right now. I wanted lots of power but I over shot my goal. Dino said 549 HP at 6900 . Another motor built along side this one held together with twice the boost. Don't remember its HP but it was s lot ! It had to be sprayed with alcohol and water to prevent detonation. I could do the same to mine but don't see the need. I don't have enough traction as it is .
Originally it was set low. Didn't like the way it looked. It'd a truck . And that's what I want it to look like .
U bought this with 30000 miles on it from a post man in 1989 when I graduated from HS. Now its my sons turn to drive it . I wanted him to have what I could not have had . YES I WILL dial it down. It's to much for me to handel I'm not putting him in a death trap !
92tank
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by 92tank »

oh no you can never overshot your goal on hp, just get more than you thought you would make. but is that really a bad thing :huh:
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Post by 4.whoa »

Well, crap. I was jealous before... Now I'm almost depressed :? I have an '87 mj 2wd (with big goals of course) but its been way behind my semi on the "where I spend my money list" :cry:
Looks good :rockout: got any more pics?
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
comanchemty
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by comanchemty »

I've had several mj's . They drive and handle great . When this one was new u could smoke those rangers and s 10 's . I'll find some more pics to post.
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

a friend of mine had a comanche. i think it was a 92, 5spd 2wd. thing was pretty quick out of the box, ive always wanted one but can never find one in decent shape around here. too bad, awesome little trucks.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
comanchemty
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by comanchemty »

Most of the ones I've seen have become work trucks. Their pretty ragged out . But hey there still on the road . They last forever . I've had 3 with around 300000 miles on. One of them I tried to blow up. It was 3 qts low and I pegged it one the back roads for an hour and a half. Darn thing wouldn't blow .
kowboydmac
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Model: GC ZJ

Post by kowboydmac »

Did you use an STS system or did you fab a rear mount yourself? What Kind of pistons did you use?
comanchemty
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by comanchemty »

I think the "STS" your referring to is Squire Turbo System. No, I fabricated this myself. Mounting the turbo is easy. It's the pipes that took the time. Lots of cutting , checking fit , and cutting again.
If you choose to mount it under the hood and are clever about where to put it and what to relocate then it is much easier to put there.
I had to run part of my cold side through the rear frame rail and c notch the body mounts under the passenger door. The cold pipe is actually on the outside of the frame. I needed to do this ; to keep it away from the hot pipe and also to have the shortest distance to the intercooler.
Used coated Ross pistons.
Google jeep 4.0 turbo. Look for a red Cherokee. He has the turbo mounted in a very cramped space on the exhaust side of the motor. It actually looks good. It's a clean install.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

There is also this one: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031285

He is selling the manifolds.
comanchemty
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by comanchemty »

He's got a clean install. He spent a lot of time on that. I'd like to see his Dino sheets on that. I don't think it was a stroker though. With peak boost at 2800 it would be a blast out of the hole.
kowboydmac
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Model: GC ZJ

Post by kowboydmac »

comanchemty wrote:I think the "STS" your referring to is Squire Turbo System. No, I fabricated this myself. Mounting the turbo is easy. It's the pipes that took the time. Lots of cutting , checking fit , and cutting again.
If you choose to mount it under the hood and are clever about where to put it and what to relocate then it is much easier to put there.
I had to run part of my cold side through the rear frame rail and c notch the body mounts under the passenger door. The cold pipe is actually on the outside of the frame. I needed to do this ; to keep it away from the hot pipe and also to have the shortest distance to the intercooler.
Used coated Ross pistons.
Google jeep 4.0 turbo. Look for a red Cherokee. He has the turbo mounted in a very cramped space on the exhaust side of the motor. It actually looks good. It's a clean install.

Well that's pretty awesome work. I did see the red cherokee. Showed a buddy of mine the manifold, and that pretty much sold me on doing that setup (I wanted to get a header anyway :D )

I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can, so if you wouldn't mind I'd like to rack your brain in an email sometime.
comanchemty
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by comanchemty »

I just seen your reply. Sure e mail any time.