4.0 /4.2 swapage questions

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
Zorm
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

4.0 /4.2 swapage questions

Post by Zorm »

Not doing a stroker yet, I am gonna wait till this 4.0 starts to die but a few questions.

1) I had a 4.0 head modified for my 258, the extra water pots welded and 3 angle valve grind. Can I put that head back on a 4.0 block with no problems?
2) Is there a bell housing I can use to go between the 4.0 block and my T176 that I can bolt the 4.0 starter to and either put the CPS in or have the bellhousing machined for the CPS?
astjp2
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: 4.0 /4.2 swapage questions

Post by astjp2 »

You should be OK on the head, if it cooled on the 4.2 block then it will cool on the 4.0 block. You can get the mopar cps kit for an automatic transmission which moves it to the balancer. Tim
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: 4.0 /4.2 swapage questions

Post by amcinstaller »

yes you can get the kit to move the cps to the balancer. LOTS of people do that. another option, if you are quite meticulous you can just mount your cps in the old bell, just have to get all the measurement crap right. takes a bit of monekying to do, but many have done it, some just drill a hole, some make a big hole and oval out the mounting bracket for a little adjustability. both ways work well, balancer or modding the bell.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.