Best Stock 4L cam

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Carter Off-Road
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Best Stock 4L cam

Post by Carter Off-Road »

Im wanting to stroke my 05 tj but more in the long run. For now i basically just want to put a real nice (big lopey) cam in it and have a nice valvetrain and head port job done. This is where you guys come in to save the day so i dont make mistakes. Whats the best cam to run for the muscle car sound make power and still have decent driveability. This is not my DD i have a little s10 for that. And im sure theres other post like this somewhere i just wanted it in my own words. And should i keep flat tappet or go hyd roller? Thanks a ton
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Re: Best Stock 4L cam

Post by lafrad »

You will NEVER get a lopey muscle car sound out of an I6.

It will sound angry and unhappy, but never muscle-car-y.

As for suggestions... if you are just looking for the SOUND, talk to one of the cam companies and get a custom grind. Start with an intake lobe from a "stage 1" or "stage 2" cam.. (in the 205 - 210 duration range) and then take the exhaust lobe from an "EXTREEEMEEE!!!!" cam... something in the 220 - 230 duration range. Do something like a : 210 int / 225 exh @ 107 lsa Install it at a 108 ICL, and you should have a "moderately torquy" cam that isn't totally lame up at high rpm, but with a definate "I6 Lope" and a very VERY sharp exhaust note.

This is basically building one of comp cams "Thumpr" cams for the jeep. after seeing the problems that people have had with cams, i would suggest NOT reusing a cam. EVER. If/when you go to the stroker, bump those cam figures up 10* each... the displacement will be able to better take advantage of more intake duration... (220/235 @ 107 lsa)
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

Both of those cams will be out-performed by cams with POWER as their main goal. but they will definately sound badass....
Carter Off-Road
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Carter Off-Road »

I guess i didnt mean muscle car sound more like a nice small block pushrod motor. Heres a good video...keep in mind this is a 4.7 with a turbo on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ2_VtMB6AI
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

lafrad wrote:You will NEVER get a lopey muscle car sound out of an I6.
YEP, we have the biggest cam (hydraulic) Crower grinds for the AMC six in one of our race cars, it's a 232 and when it warms up it smooths out and sounds rather stock, the cam in the Jeep in the video is ground to take advantage of the turbo, it would have no power in a normally aspirated engine.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

Oh I'm sure you can get lope... thing is, all cross plane V8's that you have ever heard have a firing order that is "uneven" for each 4-cyl bank. This, along with lope, gives it the "agressive nasty idle" sound.

An i6 has a perfectly even exhaust pulse in the big header, and is perfectly even in duals if you split the banks up front to back (like many people do). This just means any lope (misfires) will be mixed in with smooth running operation of the other, running cylinders.

The trubo car has a cam thats setup to take advantage of the turbo, AND, it has a turbo. both those change the sound of the vehicle in a significant way.

You wouldn't want that cam in your jeep... unless, of course, you put the turbo in too...