4.0 FI swap

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
Zorm
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

4.0 FI swap

Post by Zorm »

Right now I have a 4.0 head on my 258 in a 83 cherokee (last of the big ones). I have the 258 intake bolted to the 4.0 with a 2bbl carb mated to that and running an HEI dizzy. I want to swap in the 4.0 intake with the FI. I have all the parts, ecm, harness, intake, throttle body, sensors, injectors, flywheel and dizzy. I will send my bell housing to Novak adapters to machine in the crank position sensor price wise its cheeper than getting the adapter that bolts on to the front of the engine. At the same time I will be converting over to hydro boost power brakes to make room for the 4.0 intake.

Since I will be adding this all on top of a 258, I will not need everything that comes with the engine wire harness, just the bare stuff to run the sensors, fuel rail, dizzy and ecm and maybe any "check engine light". Looking if anyone else has done this and if so, what all can I remove in the harness to thin it out, or, can I just connect all the sensors I need, and remove anything not connected. What relays/fuses should I keep in the under hood fuse box?

thanks
comanchemty
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

Re: 4.0 FI swap

Post by comanchemty »

I've done a similar swap. I think your better off just leaving the harness all together until its running. If the motor doesnt run you don't want to be chasing wires . Get it running first then ,if u want, start cutting one at a time.
Landon
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1979
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: J10

Re: 4.0 FI swap

Post by Landon »

I'm sorry, I can't help with specifics on your swap, though I believe an electric fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and an inline guage are in your future.

I'm looking at a 93 4.0 to replace the 258 in my 79 J10. And initially, I would go with the carbed setup. What has your experience been this way? What's tempting you towards fuel injection? :frustrated: I know the 258 intake manifold to 4.0 head matching is not optimal, how's the driveability and the mileage.
My carter 2 bbl on the 258 is one of the better things about the truck at this point.

- Landon