2006 LJ ...newbie questions

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Huck
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: wrangler
Vehicle Model: LJ

2006 LJ ...newbie questions

Post by Huck »

Tried searching the newb question list but no luck. I just added d60's and a bunch of weight to my 2006 LJ and now I gotta have some more power. Unless one of you talk me out of it I'd like to build a 4.7 out of as much of my existing 35k mile 4.0 as possible. That would include my stock 42 RLE trans and stock efi. Am I wasting my time? Are some of these parts not worth keeping? With the stock efi or maybe bigger injectors but no reprograming, what kind of HP/torque can I expect?
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Re: 2006 LJ ...newbie questions

Post by Bodo »

shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

what size tires and what gears are you running?
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

It'd be a shame to tear into a baby 4.0(one of the last ones available from the factory at that). I'm sure you could get some good money for it, but you'd want to keep many of the sensors and accessories to transfer to another block that you worked on.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I don't think you would be wasting your time but grandon and shawn both make good points.

1) low mileage engine that you still have a lot of life in it
2) easy, but expensive V8 swap. While I don't care for the standard Chevy swap I do like the Hemi swap, and if you can find a good 6.1L SRT its even better.

If you can't afford the Hemi swap, then a stroker is the next best option. However, if I was in your position I wouldn't use your engine. Store it or sell it. Find a higher mileage/rebuildable engine for cheap and go off that.

I wouldn't recommend using 100% stock EFI. I would recommend at least larger injectors. In addition I would recommend a programmer/piggy back of some sort. SCT, Unichip, FTC, Apexi are all good choices. I would recommend the SCT or Apexi above the rest as they can do a lot more than just fuel and timing. Also, a wideband O2 sensor would be good to see what your engine is doing. Probably $800 more for the injectors, wideband, and programmer. I recommend the large injectors because I have personally tuliped exhaust valves using stock injector with no other fuel correction, i.e. completely stock system.
Huck
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: wrangler
Vehicle Model: LJ

Post by Huck »

shawnxj wrote:what size tires and what gears are you running?
37's for now see 39's in the future 5.13 gears and stak 3spd T/C. Actually the power i have i might be able to learn to live with if the transmission was more controlable, like say a manual valve body but i dont think they they exsist.
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

what tranny do you have? i know i can turn my aw4 into a manual by wiring the solenoids differently. 5.13's aren't bad for 37's but you should be in the 5.38 range and if you go to 39's your gonna wanna be in the 5.86 range or lower