cheap rebuild options??

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: cheap rebuild options??

Post by Muad'Dib »

No the two caps i pulled are from different Jounals.. i have yet to pull any more. Havent taken the old pump apart yet either... I have to move so thats another thing on my plate right now. haha!
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

When you buy a package of rod bearings (for one journal) it doesnt matter which half goes in the bearing cap or which one goes into the other side right??
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Post by 4.whoa »

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, just be sure the oil "holes" are pointed to the proper side of the rod(if the bearings have them).
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

It doesn't matter. The oil holes in the bearing will be on the opposite side of the notches. They can only go in one way.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Im just about ready to delve into this again and i was doing some reading online today. Im reading alot of posts about this same type of issue on new builds when there was to much MOLY lube used. When i was assembling i went by the "you can never use enough assembly lube" motto and really caked the cam and lifters with it. I even said something about it in a previous post about how it was a huge pile in the bottom of the pan. Ill have to get a pic of it tonight when i swing by the old house...

Does this seem like a possible cause of the problem??
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

I suppose if it was big enough it could plug up the strainer, and when it's off it could somewhat drift away,thats why it's ok at startup. :huh:
-Russ

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I doubt it. I think that is there was actually force applied ot it, like suction or rubbing or something similar that it would break apart fine.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

I've always use generous amounts of Molly HT#2 when assembling engines and never had any issues?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I didnt get a chance to get a pic tonight ... well actually i forgot i was in a big hurry.

Anyway im hoping this weekend that i can get the correct rod bearings installed and at least get something done since i havent touched it in awhile. Ill try to remember to grab a pic. Im sure i was grasping at straws here.. but you never know so thats why i asked.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Finally decided to swallow some more money and purchased a new oil pump and pickup tube / screen. Dropped the rest of the bearing caps and installed the .001 undersize ones which i should have installed in the first place.

I think i found the problem and im not sure at all on how to fix it. Rod Journal #1's bearings were severly worn. None of the other ones were at all they just looked like the two i already posted pictures of. #1 was worn down to where there was copper color showing. Only on that journal. Does this sound like oil starvation or something else like a bad journal? This isnt a journal i knicked or anything and seems very smooth just wore that rod bearing down with a quickness. Any suggestions on what this could be? I was thinking something is up with the crank.... but it just struck me as odd that it was only on the #1 journal.

I had to move the Jeep because its still at my old house. So i did button up #1 with new bearings and installed the new oil pump. Same problem as before obviously.. Looses oil pressure after getting warm.

My plan of action was the pull the engine again.. take the crank i have in my garage down to a machine shop and get it turned / polished if need be and then install that crank into this engine. Does it sound like the crank is the issue, or do you guys think it could be something else?

Thanks for all your help.
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

this is the crank that came in that engine,right? were there any signs of different wear on #1before? did you use an old damper? I had a damper break the "spokes" couldn't tell for sure it was broke with the belt on.when i took it apart most of the bearings were worn unevenly down to copper :(
about the oil press....does your pump sit flush? (like a problem silver had) did you check the gap from p/u to pan? you could try adding an extra qt to keep the level higher :huh:
Sorry you're having so many problems with it :(
-Russ

Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

It was the same crank that was in the engine that i bought of craigs for 100. No wear like that on the old bearings that were pulled. IIRC there was one journal that had a little more wear on it than the others.. but nothing like whats going on now.

The Balancer that i put on this engine is a newer one .. a couple years old if that .. that was pulled from the old engine that threw a rod. I just dont see that being that cause of the bearing wear on just the one journal though..

Oil pan clearance is good, and the pump fits tight against the block.

Im wondering if its a clogged oil passage or something... i dont know for sure but it seems like either way i am going to have to pull the engine again.

Another quick question. As long as i dont let the oil pressure drop down to 0 (and listen for knocking), would it be safe for me to drive it 8 miles across town to my new house? If so, what would be the safest speed to do so? (obviously accelerating very VERY slowly)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I doubt it is a balancer issue.

You might be able to drive it 8 miles.. just keep the rpms up. Come to light, drop in neutral, bring RPMS up to 1500, let off gas slightly, shift in to drive and go.
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

I had a 258 block with the oil galley drilled off on the #1 main and the main seemed to get enough oil but it ate the rod bearing, when I rebuilt the engine I moved the hole over to line up with the bearing, something to look for?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I was able to get the jeep over to my new place by driving it thank god!! Oil pressure didnt get below 10 ... but it was definetly uncomfortable. Its probably going to sit for awhile until i can get the funds to fix it properly. Yay me!