4000 mile update

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
03GC
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: WJ

4000 mile update

Post by 03GC »

For lack of a better place to put this, I put it in basics.

Engine has been running good for about 5 months. I broke the cam in with Comp Cams breakin oil,drained oil after cam break in, refilled with Summit hi zinc 10/30(made by Spectro....good name in the motocycle world). Ran that oil for 1000 miles, then switched to VR1 10/30. Been using Napa gold filters the whole time.

Engine is mostly a 505 engine. Did use Hesco blue printed rocker arms after buying 2 stock sets that looked like shit. Used a 505 flat tappet cam (by Bullet). It is around .480 lift. Used LS1 springs,2.0 intake,1.55 exhaust all installed into a new Alabama cylinder head with a mild port cleanup.
Zach at 505 told me to match to his intake gasket , so that is what I did. His gasket openings are not huge like some gaskets out there.

NOTE...... as far as a could tell from about a week of calling and internet crap , all the new iron heads available are cast at the same place in China. This will probably start a bunch of crap, but that is the info I got from from more than 1 place.

Anyway the rest of the engine is about like most out there. KB 944,4.0 rods ,.015 deck height. Using a 62mm TB from Jeepers Creepers , and a cheap ass chinese stainless dual dump header. Nothing real special.

Only problem I had after startup was the glowing header ,combined with a a surging idle. Turns out when you build a new TB, make sure the throttle stop lets the blade close ALL THE WAY. This causes a wierd ass lean condition because the IAC freaks out. Shut the blade all the way, surge and glowing header goes away.

Jeep runs good. A little slap when first start up ,a little lifter noise also. Goes away pretty quick. I think this engine would really haul in a XJ or a Wrangler.
My WJ is pretty heavy, I bet a XJ weighs 700-800 lbs less.That is free horsepower. My Jeep runs about like a stock 4.7 v-8 WJ. I am happy with how it turned out and I would build another stroker in a heartbeat.
Paul

I
"It's not what you buy, it's what you build"
03 Grand Cherokee
JK axle swap
5" lift
STROKER IN PROGRESS
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4000 mile update

Post by SilverXJ »

03GC wrote:NOTE...... as far as a could tell from about a week of calling and internet crap , all the new iron heads available are cast at the same place in China. This will probably start a bunch of crap, but that is the info I got from from more than 1 place.
I thought it was cast in Brazil, per Dino:
Cheromaniac wrote:TUPY is a Brazilian metalcasting company, so it's possible that DC outsourced the casting of the 0331 heads in late 2001 to improve the casting quality.
Maybe its just a company run out of Brazil and cast else where.
Only problem I had after startup was the glowing header ,combined with a a surging idle. Turns out when you build a new TB, make sure the throttle stop lets the blade close ALL THE WAY. This causes a wierd ass lean condition because the IAC freaks out. Shut the blade all the way, surge and glowing header goes away.
Interesting.. something easily over looked. At least it was an easy fix.
Jeep runs good. A little slap when first start up ,a little lifter noise also. Goes away pretty quick. I think this engine would really haul in a XJ or a Wrangler. My WJ is pretty heavy, I bet a XJ weighs 700-800 lbs less.That is free horsepower. My Jeep runs about like a stock 4.7 v-8 WJ. I am happy with how it turned out and I would build another stroker in a heartbeat.
I always thought the 4.0L was just ok in the ZJ and inadequate in the WJ. A WJ with a 4.7L is not slouch though.

Glad to hear its behaving well. :cheers:
tommy

Re: 4000 mile update

Post by tommy »

03GC wrote:For lack of a better place to put this, I put it in basics.
I

I think there ought to be a place to put updates on running strokers. 5k, 10k, 15k...For me, the value in an engine isn't in how much power you have, it's how long did it last. And how many problems did you have? and would you do it again?

As a newb, I read here alot. I read mostly about failures. It seems people only stay around until they're done building their stroker and then off they go never to be heard from again. Makes me want to stick with a plain old 4.0. A special irritation is people who ask for help for a problem, and then never let you know if it worked out.

Cheers to you guys that are here every day/week, helping an endless parade of strangers.

That being said, I'm leaning towards a long-rod motor: pay upfront for the pistons, and eliminate other complexities.

Please and thank you.

tommy