First Stroker, Please Help

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
diamondjim05
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: ZJ

First Stroker, Please Help

Post by diamondjim05 »

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee with 212,XXX miles and its time for an internal freshen up. I have been considering a stroker for a while now, and i have some questions. First, if i replace my crank and rods from ones out of a 258 and then bore my block out .030, then i roughly have a 4.7 right? When i order my oversized pistons, do i need to order them for the block or for the connecting rods, or does it matter? As for the wrist pins, can I use the stock pins with the 258 connecting rods? Im ordering an aftermarket cam from comp so no worries there. Also, what crank would be best to use that would be most readily availible or common at a junkyard and require the least amount of machine work or prep work (Ive heard that the nose for the harmonic balancer is longer on some of the 258 cranks). Thanks for all the help in advance.
97 Grand Cherokee Stock. For now...
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: First Stroker, Please Help

Post by Cheromaniac »

I think you'll find most of your existing questions and any future questions you'll have answered on my stroker build-up site.
A set of +0.030" pistons in a stroker will put displacement at 4587cc or 4.6L. If you buy new pistons such as the H802CP or H825CP, they'll come with new piston pins and your machine shop can press them onto the rods. The small end of the 258 rod is the same size as that of the 4.0 rod so the pistons will fit. After you've bought the pistons and taken them to the machine shop, they'll measure them and bore/hone the cylinders as required.
Any used 258 crank you buy will likely need some machining (resizing of rod/main journals). Cranks made from '87-'90 will have the shorter 54mm snout and not require a 1cm thick spacer to be placed in front of the harmonic balancer but they're the hardest to find.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

i think the 12 cwt cranks (with the longer nose) were mostly found in amc's, not too common in jeeps. or am i way off on that one?
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci

Post by seanyb505 »

I believe the 4wts were only offered for a few years, 87-90 in the YJ. Everything else is a 12wt. For peace of mind, SCAT is offering a new crank, not a reman. They want 400 but they can be found for less elsewhere.

Edit: Im dumb, I got it mixed up for when I was looking for my crank - 87-90 are the only 4wt crank that dont need the snout cut or need a spacer.
Last edited by seanyb505 on June 1st, 2010, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

The application doesn't matter for the crank, the year model is what determines what crank you have, the 12wt cranks are 1970 to 1983 (I'm not 100% positive on it being that late??) then they went to the 4wt cranks, the type of belt determines the snout length, the V belts are the long ones and serpentine belts are the short snouts.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

iirc in amc cars the 12 cwt stopped in 81. again, i could be wrong. there were other changes to the 4,2 in that year, like that stupid plastic valve cover
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
cigarluvr
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1993

Post by cigarluvr »

Thats odd...I have a 4wt crank with a longer nose? What do I have...hmph...
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

amcinstaller wrote:iirc in amc cars the 12 cwt stopped in 81. again, i could be wrong. there were other changes to the 4,2 in that year, like that stupid plastic valve cover
I thought it was about 1980, so '81 is doable, the book I looked in is FUULLL!!!!!! of discrepancies!
cigarluvr wrote:Thats odd...I have a 4wt crank with a longer nose? What do I have...hmph...
That would be the "intermediate" crank, they went to the 4wt but still had "V" belt accessory's.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

yea, i meant 80 was the last year of 12 cwt. 81 brought the stupid valve cover, and i think the 4 cwt, perhaps the long snout v belt one.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

cigarluvr wrote:Thats odd...I have a 4wt crank with a longer nose? What do I have...hmph...
Then it's an '81-'86 crank. You'll find all the info. at http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/selection.html
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
diamondjim05

Post by diamondjim05 »

Thanks for all the help and for the links, i think i have all the info i need. Thanks again!!!
97 Grand Cherokee Stock. For now...