Wrangler - '02 alternator, '89 wiring

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
hypernoodle
Stroker Displacement: 4.5L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Wrangler - '02 alternator, '89 wiring

Post by hypernoodle »

I'm trying to use a Denso '02 Wrangler alt on the stroker in my '89 YJ, and I'm having issues. No surprise there.

The original was regulated by the ecu, and the new one is internally regulated. Just slplicing the harness wasn't gong to work. A friend said I could run switched power to the field source and ground the other to chassis. I did, and whaddya know... It worked! It worked a little too well. After the battery charged, it caused the wire going into the PDC block to start melting the sheathing!

I shut it off before any damage was done, but now I need to fix what caused that.

The two original wires were for voltage sensing and switching the alt on/off. I'm thinking I could splice the heavy-gauge sensing wire into the alt output, put a relay on the switched power to the alt, and hook the on/off signal wire to the relay.

Any thoughts?
hypernoodle
Stroker Displacement: 4.5L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Wrangler - '02 alternator, '89 wiring

Post by hypernoodle »

Oops. It's an '00 alt.

I just grabbed a voltage regulator for an '86 dodge that people say should do the trick.

Fingers are crossed!
5-90
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Re: Wrangler - '02 alternator, '89 wiring

Post by 5-90 »

Your original premise is reversed - the 89 YJ used a Delco 12SI internally-regulated alternator, while 1991-up YJ/TJ used the Nippondenso with the regulator circuit in the PCM

(Although, to be absolutely honest, I prefer the Delco. I've seen them take /amazing/ amounts of abuse...)

For something that will hold up well, might I suggest a Prestolite regulator for marine applications? It's potted (so it's mostly waterproof,) and will take more of a beating than any automotive regulator ever will. Check with a marine supply house, any alternator/starter house, or you can go to my site and order one from San Jose Generator if you can't find one locally.

The Prestolite marine units are a bit spendy, but well worth it.
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."