Super Cheap 4.5. Will it work?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
cadmaro
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: zj

Super Cheap 4.5. Will it work?

Post by cadmaro »

i'm planning a stroker build for my 94 cherokee and id like to build it as cheaply as possible without major negative side effects. so far as i can tell from searching i need to get 87-90 4.2 rods and crank and the .043 head gasket and have my pistons dished to around 18cc and i'm good to go? and can i run this combo on 87 octane? sorry if i just didn't search long enough to find what i was looking for and thanks in advance for any help
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Super Cheap 4.5. Will it work?

Post by Cheromaniac »

I think what you're looking for is my "poor man's" stroker recipe and yes, it'll run on 87 octane. Just make sure you keep it cool (stock 2-row HD radiator, high-flow water pump, 180* t'stat). That's what I'm running and I'm even able to use the stock Champion RC12LYC plugs.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
cadmaro
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: zj

Post by cadmaro »

thanks for the help. would it be best to go ahead and go .030 or .060 over since it will already be apart? and will it still make decent power without p&p on the head and intake?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

You could go +0.060" but keep in mind that it'll be the last rebore you'll ever be able to do on that block.
The difference between an unported head with a '91-'99 XJ intake, and a ported head with '00+ XJ intake (my combo) is about 15rwhp so it's definitely worth having the latter.
It doesn't make sense to go for a bigger displacement (4.7L) and then choke the engine off with an unported head.
osteologation
Vehicle Year: 1995

Post by osteologation »

What if you just happen to have a 4.2 crank and rods laying around and it's no big deal to swap it in? Is it just as simple as dished piston and gasket? (I have a 90 yj crank/rods)
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

I still think you should rebore the cylinders on an old, high mileage engine so that you get good ring sealing. You could use your 4.2 crank/rods, add 677CP pistons (~9.25:1 CR), and keep everything else inside the engine stock (as I did apart from porting the head).