98 xj dash shutting down

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
rammit11
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

98 xj dash shutting down

Post by rammit11 »

hi, anybody out there have the jeep dash going dead issue? I have had it happen twice in the last two days and turning on the right turn signal seems to wake it up. I am looking to see if someone has a wiring diagram for the 98 xj dash and where what connects where. I have already pulled the gauge pod and cleaned both the connectors and the terminals on the dash. I checked into the "fix" from the dealer which is to replace the connector, a little leary on doing it though because I talked to few local jeepers around my area and it was 50/50 on it fixing the problem. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.
jcsj
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1978
Vehicle Model: cj-5

Re: 98 xj dash shutting down

Post by jcsj »

had same problem, dash went dead. on another forum said to push on the face of the dash at all four cornors at same time . worked for me :huh: some thought it was a ground issue.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Its not aground issue. The gauges loosing connection is a known issue. There is a TSB on a it and IIRC you have to remove the old socket on the wiring harness and solder in a new one. However I have heard of people removing the dash cluster, cleaning the contacts and plunging it back in with good results.
rammit11
Donator
Donator

Post by rammit11 »

Thanks for the help silver xj, I know about the fix . The strange thing is that turning the right turn signal on seems to kick the dash back to life that is why I am wondering if it is something besides the connector, just fishing around to see if the turn signal thing works for anyone else. The dash isn't nothing more than an annoyance at the present time as I am working on getting a short rod 4.6 stroker together.
rammit11
Donator
Donator

Post by rammit11 »

Thanks for the feedback. I did pull the cluster out and found that the repair was already done, so just cleaned up the terminals for the third time. I have been driving it for about two weeks now and haven't had any problems reoccur. :cheers: