Stroker wont turn!!!! Help!!!

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
billy_bob
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Stroker wont turn!!!! Help!!!

Post by billy_bob »

Hi have a 94 jeep cherokee, i had just got my 4.7 stroker in and for what ever the reason the starter wont turn the motor. it a 1990 4.0 block, Kb 944 21cc forged .060 pistons, 94 4.0 rods, late model 258 crank, and a 94 7120 high cylinder head, comp cam K68-239-4 sitting at about 9.5:1.
Its got a new battery, i have two starters i've tried, both new, i don't have the money yet for larger gauge wires so I ran multiple 4 gauge wires i had lying around and from my other cars.
The ground side consist of one ground to the starter mounting bolt, two to the stock firewall spot on the passanger side next to the battery, and one sandwiched between ac compressor mounting bracket and engine block, and theres a braided wire from the back of the firewall next to the brake booster to a head bolt stud.
The positive side has two to the starter and one to the fuse box next to the battery. when i try and crank it the motor hardly turnes before it stops all togeter, but when i put a larger cca battery on it from my v-8 it spins bit faster but will start smoking from the little wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter, and nether time does it make clicks like a dead battery or a bad connection. i know its not the motor lock up or anything like that. i need help im itchen so bad to get it runnen but am forced to still sit in the driver seat and act like im driving it. and yes the battery is charged up
90 block, 94 7120 head and rods, IC944 .060 21cc, comp 68-239-4 and of course the 258 crank. my first full build and i did pretty damn good
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: Stroker wont turn!!!! Help!!!

Post by amcinstaller »

honestly it sounds like somethin is holding the crank still. you said you know its not motor lockup, but can you turn it by hand? can you still turn it with the transmission attached? i know ive left a wrench or two on the crank bolt(s) on various projects, but you usually find those on the floor after the clunk :doh:
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
billy_bob

Post by billy_bob »

yah the motor turns easly transmission attached. i had to go in and reset my cam timing with the motor in the car and it turned no problem with a normal 3/8 ratchet. Before the cam timing was fixed it cranked fine, granted the cylinders were only at 60 psi, but i didnt have a good motor ground and a bad battery and it melted my negative terminal after a bit of cranking.
i got a new batttery and replaced my terminal, tryed cranking it and it started doing it slow so i thought i fryed my starter maybe. also reliezing what i had done with the cam timing putting the motor together and a compression test i opened it up and fixed the timing for sure. I had a second starter sitting around had it tested and switched it out, found a better ground then started adding the wires and still same thing, but without the starter smoking like it did unless i put the bigger battery in. the compression went up to 120psi once the cam timing was fixed. when do a voltage drop test the voltage drops to 4 volts
90 block, 94 7120 head and rods, IC944 .060 21cc, comp 68-239-4 and of course the 258 crank. my first full build and i did pretty damn good
billy_bob

Post by billy_bob »

We'll i figured out that multiple 4 gauge wires isnt as good as 2 gauge wires. i managed to get some money so I changed them to the 2 gauge and zing started cranken better. i turned the distributer as my buddy cranked it till i found the sweet spot and she started right up. for some reason its missfireing a bit but runing none the less... the sound of victory is so sweet... :D i guess in actuality the bigger wires were a no brainer i just didnt want to fully admit it