Issues with ASD relay

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
ajmorell
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Issues with ASD relay

Post by ajmorell »

Finally got everything put back together last night and went to crank over the engine. It cranks over nice but I'm not getting any spark. Swapped the coil out, still nothing, swapped the CPS out, still nothing. When the key is turned to the on position the ASD relay clicks like a SOB. I checked all of the fuses and they all seem to be okay. I'm guessing the reason I'm not getting spark is due to the ASD relay but I don't know specifically where to start with this thing. I tried swapping it out for another relay but ended up with the same result. I've read that ASD relay failure can come from lack of a good ground on the PCM so I'm going to check that but I don't know where else to look.
-Andy-
MichiganTech Mechanical Engineering
BSME '09
MSME '10
ajmorell
Donator
Donator

Re: Issues with ASD relay

Post by ajmorell »

Well this really has me stumped. I checked and double checked all of my grounds, even re-wired the battery (it needed it anyways) and they all test good. O2 sensor wires look fine....

Is there something painfully obvious I'm missing that I need to do after installing a new engine? Out of curiosity, exactly what grounds the PCM? Maybe I'm missing something, but there doesn't appear to be an obvious ground on it.
-Andy-
BSME '09
MSME '10
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

tried placing a jumper between the 30 and 87 pins? it would eliminate the relay from the question, but if the problem is elsewhere, it doesnt help.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
YJason
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by YJason »

Is the engine grounded good to the body?
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

Check the grounds at the oil dipstick tube mounting bolt. If all grounds appear good, start unplugging components one at a time until clicking stops(1st CKP, then o2s, then coil, then tb sensors, CMP, etc). I had a melted o2 harness that clicked the ish out of my asd until it blew the pcm's 12v supply(stupid rear facing o2 bung on borla that requires the harness to do a 180*). Shorted CKPs are also known to click the asd.
ajmorell
Donator
Donator

Post by ajmorell »

I figured it out....I'm an idiot and just overlooked something simple. :doh:
-Andy-
BSME '09
MSME '10
amcinstaller
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

so what was it?
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
ajmorell
Donator
Donator

Post by ajmorell »

When I pulled the 4.0 out of my Jeep last March I ended up having to cut the leads for the PCM ground because they were so rusted I couldn't remove the bolt they were grounded to. When I cleaned up the garage Saturday I found the bolt with the wires I cut out that I had removed and held on to (to remind me :oops: ). As soon as I saw that I knew I forgot to ground the PCM and once I put a new terminal on those wires it fixed my problem.
-Andy-
BSME '09
MSME '10