Omegatron's Strokin' it!

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
omegatron
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Omegatron's Strokin' it!

Post by omegatron »

That's good to know. I think I'll go visit my local HF and pic some extras up! :)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Those carbide bits are well worth it. While I didn't use the long ones they did save a lot of hours and pieces of the SA kit. The only thing I couldn't figure out is why the chatter depending on the die grinder angle. Smooth the transitions as much as possible. Judging from the pictures you have a long way to go. And that pic of where you hit the valve seat i only saw one very small nick which will clean up with a valve job.
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

Thanks for the response Silver. I will continue to work on the guides.

And the chatter with the ball bit is crazy...almost wants to be a pinball bouncing around the port...a little sketchy in those small exhaust ports.

Hope you can find a solution to your cam bearing issue.
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

Got some more cartridge rolls for the p&p. They are "Blaze" and are a ceramic base as opposed to aluminum oxide. Work pretty well. I still need a hour or two with the 60 grit until I'm satisfied.
DSC03136.JPG
Here are some more pics of the process:
DSC03138.JPG
DSC03141.JPG
So...most of the flash is removed. Just have to smooth the guides a little bit more and then on to some fine grit rolls. I still have to do the combustion chambers too. Can't see that taking too long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

I also bought some LS2 valves off of ebay...Thanks DWG86 for the tip in the classifieds! Think I'm going to pair the valves with the Crower spring set up that Lafrad discovered. We will see...I'm a noob at all this so it should be interesting.
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

One quick question....during the port, I've come really close to the hole of the valve guide. Should I be concerned with that? I was thinking about putting some bronze liners in the valve guides, any issues there? Thanks.
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

Might as well toss in a pic of the beast...
jeep mtns.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Post by gonridnu »

You should be fine on the guide boss....

I like liners because it leaves all the base material in the head thus retaining the strength. Drilling for guides can really thin things out, but someone else with more experience with these heads may be able to elaborate.

Keep up the good work....
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

Thanks dude! I'm jealous of your junk yard t-case!

Just wanted to post a cool pic of a jeep head that I found on another site...good reference for the p&p
head cut view.JPG
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

During my mid-week, week end (I'm off work monday through wednesday), I continued the p&p. Everything seems to be going well...Progressed through all the 60 grit rolls and tapered rolls and most of the larger 80 grit rolls. Now I'm using the smallest taper roll with the 80 grit to do some touch ups and final sanding before I move on to the flap wheel and buffer pads. I had to whip out the dremel and fine carbide ball tip to remove some of the flash around the valve seats in the combustion chamber. The flap wheel seems a little large for the cylinder head, but I guess I just have to see what it will reach.

Got some LS2 valves in the mail...sweet! Next I need to locate a deal on the Crower springs from Lafrads setup, and then find appropriate locks and retainers.

Time for some more pics...woo hoo!
DSC03147.JPG
DSC03145.JPG
DSC03146.JPG
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

DSC03149.JPG
DSC03150.JPG
DSC03152.JPG
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

Now for some pics of the new valves. Intake valve is noticeably larger and the exhaust seems marginally larger. The exhaust has a nice depression allowing for some valuable volume into the combustion chamber.

Stock valves are on the right.
DSC03154.JPG
DSC03157.JPG
DSC03159.JPG
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

Intake valve pics
DSC03162.JPG
DSC03164.JPG
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

Valve diameter comparison
DSC03160.JPG
DSC03167.JPG
omegatron
Donator
Donator

Post by omegatron »

Used the flap wheel on the exhaust ports and then did some polishin'. Pretty much ready to wrap up the p&p. Need to still do the intake manifold and polish the connecting rods. This week i'm going to order springs, retainers and try to get all the gaskets purchased. Here are a few more pics.
DSC03170.JPG
DSC03171.JPG
DSC03175.JPG