Mopar camshafts

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Mopar camshafts

Post by dwg86 »

Ok, I think I've heard and seen enough aftermarket camshaft failers. From what I have read about mopar performance cam lobes is that they are the same width as the stock lobes, and the stock cams last over 200k! But I have also read that the p4529229ab and the p4529230ab cams were discontinued? Does anyone know if thats true? They are still shown on the mopar performance web site.
Also thinking about running 1.6 rockers on the intake and 1.7 on the exhaust. The lift would be in-450 / ex-478. Although I might have to buy 2 sets of rockers to get the 1.6/1.7 rockers, but then I could sell a 1.6/1.7 rocker set. What do you guys think? Comments?
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Mopar camshafts

Post by Flash »

dwg86 wrote:Ok, I think I've heard and seen enough aftermarket camshaft failers. From what I have read about mopar performance cam lobes is that they are the same width as the stock lobes, and the stock cams last over 200k! But I have also read that the p4529229ab and the p4529230ab cams were discontinued? Does anyone know if thats true? They are still shown on the mopar performance web site.
Also thinking about running 1.6 rockers on the intake and 1.7 on the exhaust. The lift would be in-450 / ex-478. Although I might have to buy 2 sets of rockers to get the 1.6/1.7 rockers, but then I could sell a 1.6/1.7 rocker set. What do you guys think? Comments?
Yeah, there gone :cry:
You might want to have you local Chry deal do a search......there might be a lonely one or two collecting dust in some dealership stock.....................

depending on what cam you us, they may or may not help(1.6 1.7 rocker arm)......the cash you spend on two sets of roller rocker arms you could spend better else ware better :huh:
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

I got mine(the 30) back in October from Mopartsracing/jeepconnection. They told me then that there were only 1-2 more 30s available and a couple 29s(no probs finding the 28--them and summit). The one I got was made on my birthday ;)
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

How does it perform?
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

I'm in the middle of the project, so I don't know yet.
tirod
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by tirod »

You may have to add valve reliefs to the pistons going to 1.7. Usually 1.6 and up require them unless aftermarket pistons made for high lift were specified.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I just scored a 30ab mopar performance cam and lifter kit. I found 2. One in California that was marked sold, and one in Maryland that was sold to me for $144.00 shipping included! I am going to take the camshaft to reed cams(they are local to me) and compare it to a cam core that they have. Maybe they can do something done about having new cores made with wider lobes(It could happen...look at KB stroker pistons). Also, I have access to a rockwell hardness tester. I am going to have the mopar cam tested to see how hard it is.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Awesome score--where in MD/what company?
Flash

Post by Flash »

dwg86 wrote:I just scored a 30ab mopar performance cam and lifter kit. I found 2. One in California that was marked sold, and one in Maryland that was sold to me for $144.00 shipping included! I am going to take the camshaft to reed cams(they are local to me) and compare it to a cam core that they have. Maybe they can do something done about having new cores made with wider lobes(It could happen...look at KB stroker pistons). Also, I have access to a rockwell hardness tester. I am going to have the mopar cam tested to see how hard it is.
It would be way cool to be able to see the difference between the Mopar and .......say Cranes cam.......and especially the lifters!!!!!!

Vary cool find on the Mopar cam!
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

gradon wrote:Awesome score--where in MD/what company?

I called a local dealer and they did a dealer search. It cam up as 2 cams left in the system. They gave me the numbers of the dealers. Can't remember the name of the dealer in Maryland, but it was the last one they had. The dealer I called in Ca. said the camshaft had "sold" on the box, but he did say to call back because his manager had gone home. He said maybe they would sell it. He couldn't verify when the "sold" had been written on the box . It was very old stock also. I didn't call them back because I was able to get the cam from Md.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

The cam in Ca is sold also. :o
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

So you might be doing a lot of justice to get that cam co. to get the specs in order to be able to make a duplicate in case people want these in the future.