air fuel ratio gauge?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
bikedude189
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"

air fuel ratio gauge?

Post by bikedude189 »

i want to built an adjustable map sensor pot, seen some people have done them before and it looks easy enough, but i also need an air fuel gauge. what do people recommend? i've seen plenty of gauges that look like they tie into your stock O2 sensor on ebay, and a few that have a sensor included ($$$$), just want to know what people's opinion's are...
AIbandit
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: air fuel ratio gauge?

Post by AIbandit »

A quick google search came up with lots of DIY articles on how to solder your own that runs off of your O2 sensor If you don't want to spend money.

http://www.scirocco.org/tech/misc/afgauge/af.html
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

isn't there a difference between a wideband and narrowband O2 sensor that makes the narrow not great for what we want to know?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

The narrow band is useless for tunning unless you just like to see pretty lights dance around. Basically just tells you if it is rich or lean, no real data. With a wide band it will tell you exactly where your AFR is.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Bodo wrote:isn't there a difference between a wideband and narrowband O2 sensor that makes the narrow not great for what we want to know?
A wideband O2 sensor will give you accurate A/F ratios and allow you to precisely dial in the fuel curve. You can also use a narrow band such as the Autometer gauge that runs off your existing O2 sensor but you'll need to keep the following in mind:

1. When the engine computer's in closed loop mode (cruise, light throttle acceleration), the O2 sensors will keep the A/F mixture stoichiometric (14.7:1) and the gauge should light up all of the yellow LED's in the middle.

2. The MAP adjuster really helps for dialing in the fuel curve under open loop conditions (heavy throttle acceleration, deceleration, warm-up). When you nail the throttle, you'll want the gauge to be 2-3 LED's inside the green rich zone.

3. During deceleration the gauge should go into the red lean zone and drop off the scale altogether if the throttle is snapped completely shut.

It isn't precise but it works. Take a look at http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/updates.html
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
YJason
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by YJason »

I found on of these cheap on E-bay in a unopened box and it works really good.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetai ... 604&sid=11
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I would prefer something with data logging, but wide band is still better than narrow band.
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

SilverXJ wrote:I would prefer something with data logging, but wide band is still better than narrow band.
What would you suggest? Looking at my options.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

This is the one I have, and I highly recommend it:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php
woodjeep
I made it to triple digits!

Post by woodjeep »

its amazing how many different people are doing similar things at the same time. I asked similar questions a few days ago on another forum but got no replies. main question what is a narrow band sensor and what is a wideband sensor. Also I have a 92, the o2 sensor has 2 black and 2 white wires. Which pair is the actual sensor output and which pair is the heater. I can't afford a fuel air meter right now but plan to hook up a quality voltmeter in parallel to the sensor output just to see if I can get a baseline database. I figure roughly 1/2 volt give or take is stochiometric...around .75 is rich and below .3 is lean. I have the test voltages somewhere on a chart but I am just looking for ballpark indications. In the spring when I get the new engine put in I will have something to compare it to so I can tune it properly..thanks
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I use a Daytona Sensors Wego II. At the time it was fairly cheap with data logging. It isn't a pretty device though but it works. I also wanted something that I could leave in the vehicle. http://www.daytona-sensors.com/products.html Their Wego IV looks much better.
woodjeep

Post by woodjeep »

Well..something seems not right. I found the connections off Alldata. I did all my splicing on the sensor side of the connector so if I screw it up a new sensor makes it all better. The white wires are for the heater and the resistance was good for that approx 5 ohm. i then spliced the pos connection to the black wire and my neg connection to the grey wire. I appear to have no output at all. I also do not have a chech engine light so I disconnected the entire o2 sensor and ran the jeep...still no check engine light. I know the light works because when I disc my coolant temp sensor the light comes on..I'm confused
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I found that the engine will run for quite a while without an o2 sensor before it throws a check engine light. Also, I don't know how long the heater runs before it gives feed back. One of the wires is ground and the other goes back tot he PCM. Also, depending on your voltmeter it may not be quick enough to catch the voltage.
woodjeep

Post by woodjeep »

This morning 5 minutes into the ride i started to show voltage. At 10+ minutes it was fairly constant at around 1/2 volt give or take some. it was still dark out so I had to turn on the dome to see. It will be easier to see this afternoon on the way home. yesterday i didn't actually drive it just idled in the driveway for 10 or 15 min
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Sounds like it is showing stoich (14.7:1), which should be .45 volts or so, with some fluctuations. It will show that for most of daily driving until you get on the gas and put the PCM into open loop, which is where you would be tuning.