Wiring harness VSS help!!

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
farna

Wiring harness VSS help!!

Post by farna »

I'm having a problem with a 1991-92 wiring harness. I've separated everything not EFI related out using my 93 FSM. Unfortunately I can't find ONE connector! It's a four position connector that simply has to be the VSS. The problem is the four pin connector! I think it separates the cruise control and computer VSS functions, and may split off after the four pin connector near the harness. If someone could find and scan the page(s) showing the wiring at the VSS connector I'd appreciate it! The computer is dated 10/03/91, so it should be an early 1992 model. I think that's a bit late for a 91, but I have been told that the 91 VSS is different from later models, probably a one year only thing, so it might be a 91 or early 92 using a 91 VSS and wiring.

The four wires on the connector (four connections side by side) are (left to right, key/latch on top, looking "in" at female connections): Black, Black/red stripe (could be brown/red stripe), Black/lt. blue stripe, White/orange stripe. The big problem is the black/red stripe (or brown/red stripe) isn't connected to anything, and the 93 FSM digram shows the sensor should have a solid orange wire to it from the computer (+8V sensor input). I THINK the black/red stripe goes to +12V (switched) from the power distribution center, but can't find it. Not sure now if I cut that wire or it was cut already. If this isn't the VSS signal wiring, I don't know what it is, and I don't know where the VSS wiring could be. The white/orange stripe and black/blue stripe wires are definitely VSS related, and the black is a ground. The black/red stripe (or brown/red stripe) has to be power of some sort. It's from an auto trans vehicle if that helps.

I am modifying this wiring harness for someone and don't have the actual sensor. The wiring is in the vicinity of the transmission wiring (which was removed from the harness also). The only wires that tie into the trans from the main harness are the TPS and power lines. I hope someone has a 91 and/or 92 FSM and can find this connector, it's the LAST THING I need to fix/mark on this harness!! I've found a few FSMs with wiring diagrams on-line, but no 91 or 92! Great Lakes XJ (http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech.html) has 1988, 93, 94, 95, 97, 99, 00, and 01 FSMs if anyone needs them. Also many parts catalogs.
Frank Swygert
farna

Re: Wiring harness VSS help!!

Post by farna »

I think I found the problem wire. Looks like it must be to the 4x4 light on the dash. The four wire connector must plug into another sub harness that goes to the VSS and 4x4 light switch on the transfer case. If someone has a 91 and/or 92 wiring diagram showing the VSS and 4x4 switch I'd sure like to see it though!
Frank Swygert
Exos
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: Wiring harness VSS help!!

Post by Exos »

unlimitedrubicon
I made it to triple digits!