4.6 Stroker Install

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
RescueTJ
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

4.6 Stroker Install

Post by RescueTJ »

Hello,

I am new to this board but not new to Jeeps. I basically have a built-up 2000 TJ that I have invested alot of blood, sweat, tears, and $ into over the last 10 years. With only 52K on it, my 4.0L gave up the ghost and I have decided to put in a Golen 4.6 after doing alot of research. I know these engines are both loved and hated, but for what it's worth it's the direction I have decided to go in. I have the Manual so for the obvious reasons I have decided to replace the clutch also when it is all torn apart.

I do have some questions I was hoping all of you can answer, or give advice on, based on all of your combined experience.

1) I live in Colorado at about 6500 feet and often take trails that will go to 13-14K feet. I am a little concerned about the possibility of detonation and wonder if I should initially install an adjustable MAP sensor to deal with this? I know I may not need one but I would like your thoughts. I know Turbo City has several and I am somewhat intrigued by the one with a 3 position switch.

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=412 vs. http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=413

Or... would I be better off using a custom chip and leaving the MAP sensor stock? If so is there a preferred/recommended chip amoung strokers?

2) I am planning on using a centerforce dual friction clutch. Any thoughts on this set-up? The Golen website recommends using a 4.2L pilot bushing. Will I need to do this with this clutch?

3) Is there any other tricks, recommendations, or anything else I should expect as part of this installation? I keep getting told that this is a pretty straight forward bolt in swap, but I hate suprises. I am ordering the 24# injectors from Golen as well.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations...................
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.6 Stroker Install

Post by Cheromaniac »

The '00 computer is a lot more picky than the OBD 1 that I have so I suggest you go with the 27lb stroker injectors from http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp , add a Unichip piggyback module, and have it dyno tuned. Steer away from the MAP adjuster.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
RescueTJ

Post by RescueTJ »

Thanks.
RescueTJ

Post by RescueTJ »

I got lined up with unichip now I guess I just need to decide which clutch is best. Has anyone had any problems with centerforce dual frictions?
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

My CFDF2 is still doing great. I had it for a year on my 94 4.0 and now it's been a year+ on the 4.6, so at least 25K of mostly city/suburb driving and I push my Jeeps hard and it takes it in stride.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003

Post by dwg86 »

I used a dual friction, center force in my 79 CJ with a 401. I like it. I used a Luk, gold series in my stroked TJ. I figured I didn't need the Center force in mt TJ, and price also played a part in that descision. No problems so far.